• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recently Adopted Linnie with Poor Eyesight

src517

Moving in
Real Name
Sarah
Hi all! I'm new to this forum but I read a little bit about Linnie's from this site so I wanted to kind of get some more opinions. I recently adopted a creamino linnie from a pet store and noticed that his eyesight is incredibly bad. I'm not sure to what degree, as it's obvious he can see some things (like he was on my mom's shoulder and was entranced by her shiny earrings) but other times he is completely oblivious to his surroundings, but he is enamored by the sound-producing toys (I think all of them have a way to produce sound but there's two he prefers the most). He loves being sang to, talked to, and just music.

I want to know if anyone here has any advice on how to properly care for a bird with poor eyesight, especially a Linnie. Because he is new to my home, I try not to take him out of his cage too much (though the door is always open on his unless I am not in the room), but I do have a nighttime cage and daytime cage. I haven't moved any toys or anything as I don't want to change anything for a bird that might need consistency. Is there anything that you all would suggest for acclimating him, especially since he's a Linnie/Linnie with poor eyesight?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So I have a tiel who's fully blind and he does just fine. I don't change much around in the cage and he finds everything. He even has a sighted cage mate. The one thing I've noticed is that he does startle more easily and sometimes he makes noise at inappropriate times, like in the dark. But generally he follows the rest of the flock behavior.

Two suggestions for you:
1) Just observe your guy for a while and see what he might need adjusted. If there's an area of the cage where he struggles, see if you can troubleshoot.
2) See a vet about his eyes, or a veterinary ophthalmologist if you have the option. Some conditions like glaucoma (which my bird has) can be painful and progressive if not medicated.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I also have a blind linnie. He has cataracts so he can't see anything other than vague figures. He flies is circles and comea to the sound of our voices. Overall he is a very happy and sweet baby. He lives in a small cage with a friend. We try not to change his cage around too much. We never leave him alone out of his cage.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! We love to hear about new Linnies on the Avenue! I have a 2 1/2 year old green female, Gigi, who is a sweet and sassy delight.

My elderly canary became blind with cataracts and functioned well for the last years of his life. I moved his cage to a corner spot that felt protected, but still part of the family action.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did the pet store manager know about this before the sale? You should have been informed. Anyway I am sure you can offer your bird a wonderful life. With poor vision a bell inside the cage is very useful once they get the hang of it. Make sure and get a stainless steel bell. One of the vendors here may have a safe one.