• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Received a Conure and a Parakeet that have been homed together their entire lives and are bonded. Should I put them in different cages?

Valyntine

Checking out the neighborhood
Like the title says. I came into ownership of a GCC and a Parakeet. Both are males and a bit over a year old, and they've been homed together almost their entire lives to the point where they've bonded.

What should I do? Should I just leave them in the same cage or get a second cage for one of them? I'm worried about the GCC hurting the Parakeet, and I think it's also a bit harder to train a bird if they've already bonded with another bird, right?

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How bonded? If they’re soulmates, I personally do not break those up no matter how zany the coupling. If they’re just buddies, friends because they’re quite frankly feathers flock together… then yes, separate cages and they can come out to play together under supervision.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
Going to bump this for visibility.

Some member live all over the world so with different time zones will get a different response.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd separate them. What will happen as the GCC matures sexually & is frustrated? It's unsafe. Maybe they could live side by side in the same room.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think as Sparkles said, you need to figure out if they're really bonded or just friends. I help with a parrot rescue and the general thought there is if they're actually bonded, they don't separate no matter how weird the pairing is. But if they're just "friends" or if there's any sign of aggression, being picked on etc., they do. Separate as in separate cages not completely take them away from each other.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I would be worried when hormones start raging that the GCC could hurt the budgie. I know Cheddar had drawn blood from me this year because of Hormone rage.
If you decide to separate them I'd keep their cage very close together but not touching, want to watch out for those little toes.