• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recall training

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
How often do your birds come when you call them if they are fully recall trained. Is this like a 100% of the time? Just wondering because they are such free spirits, I’m curious if even the most trained birds just simply choose not to. Most dogs, will just do it, but birds seem a bit more on their own terms. Right now, they come when they want treats but during the session, they do a really good job. While I have their attention, they will do it over a dozen times and it’s easy and they get it. But they just don’t want to do it all the time. Obviously, I will give it more time.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Mine tend to come 100% of the time, but not the first time (requires me to stand there and give them time to come after being asked a few times). A lot depends on the "why". When you ask them to come, is the next action something fun like playing or attention, or is it a trip to their cage? I generally only ask them to come when there's something in it for them, so everyone is setup for success (which definitely contributes to my 100% answer).

Coincidentally, I posted this today and it shines some light on these secondary reinforcers...

Last edited:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Will definitely look into this article after work. They’ve been doing well with the recall training. But it still is on their time. If they are relaxing on the curtains, if I need them to come, not really. But if they are training, they are happy to come.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Mine tend to come 100% of the time, but not the first time (requires me to stand there and give them time to come after being asked a few times).
Ok, so it’s coming along. They definitely are learning their names and to come when they are called. It’s at 60% of the time and similarly, after a few times of asking. They won’t come if they are resting or preening or in a deep conversation with each other. But when they start training, they come 100% of the time. Which is progress! It started off just coming and receiving a treat. But they keep coming and bouncing back and forth looking for treats so now they are only getting a treat if they are specifically called. So it’s more purposeful. Hope in a few days, I can say they come 80% of the time. I still don’t think I’ll ever be able to get them to go in willingly. They like their cage and will eventually settle in but LOVE being out. It doesn’t stress them out to be put back but i wish they would go in on their own. They sit on my fingers and I just trick them into going in haha.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I know everyone’s birds are different but how long did your babies take to learn the basic training? Target training, recall training, harness training? Not to compare my babies but just curious. And what was more difficult, recall or target?

Spyglass29

Strolling the yard
Mine come most of the time. Sometimes they just choose not to. Nothing you can do about it.

I know everyone’s birds are different but how long did your babies take to learn the basic training? Target training, recall training, harness training? Not to compare my babies but just curious. And what was more difficult, recall or target?
For me, recall was more difficult. My budgie Iki learned target in like...15 minutes? 20? But recall took longer. I think it's different for every bird.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Mine come most of the time. Sometimes they just choose not to. Nothing you can do about it.
That’s what I thought, if I was able to fly, I can’t imagine I would come each time either haha
recall was more difficult. My budgie Iki learned target in like...15 minutes? 20? But recall took longer.
We are working on the recall, when they train, they come each time. But target is a bit more elusive to me because I feel like I’ll mostly be using that to get them into their cage so maybe I’m more reluctant cus I know it’ll be harder for me. Nevertheless, as soon as they get their recall down (just a few more days) I will work on target. And getting them used to being around the harness

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Think we got target training well on the way! Wally gets impatient and wants to train for long periods of time for treats. When we stop, he can get a bit too excited. He’ll do all the tricks he knows. He’ll come and fly over, he’ll kiss, he’ll tap on the stick. But sometimes it’s a lot and if I stop, he just keeps coming back. He’s only 8 weeks. Do I train until they are done with me or do I just set a time and finish up? It’s so funny, even though she is younger and a runt, she gets the training quicker and she is so graceful where he looks desperate and clumsy haha :wacky: I’m so proud they picked up the training and they retained the kiss trick from yesterday. Smart little guys!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You always stop the training session before they want to stop.
Burt cycles through everything he knows in an attempt to gain more treats too lol.

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
You always stop the training session before they want to stop.
Burt cycles through everything he knows in an attempt to gain more treats too lol.
If I ignore them, Eva will just fly away but Wally will just keep trying. Yesterday, in his excitement, he flew at my face because I was ignoring him. Twice. Soooo yeahhhh that’s got to stop. He’s small thank God, but using my face as a landing spot out of frustration, is a no no! I wanted to put him in the cage which is right next to me, for 30 seconds but he looked sad and confused so after 10 seconds I just let him out :banghead: I tried to explain to him that he hurt me but he went to my husband and complained about me for about 15 minutes…

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Also, Wally is starting to enjoy dive bombing me. With no malicious intent but it sure does scare the heck out of me for the moment. It’s just when he is in a very excited mood, he will zoom fly crazy and just swoop in close to my head. He enjoys it. I do not. Hoping he does not transfer that behavior to Eva. I used to live by a LOT of crows, but didn’t think it would be my two tiny babies making me duck haha