• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recall Training

JSyle

Meeting neighbors
So I have finally had a break through with my gcc with recall training. She took a while to take the leap from just stepping up to having to hop to my hand. From that hop this morning, she is already flying 3-4 feet to my hand on command with a decent amount of consistency. Of course I don't want to rush anything, but where do I go from here? I know I want to increase the distance of flight, but how do I get her to fly back to the stand? Every time she has flown to me, I have to walk her back.

Ulis_Beast

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
:lol: ... she is as much of your personal trainer as you are hers! Keeping you fit.
But YAY...Such a nice little victory.
I'd use a cue when placing her on the stand (stand, place, ..) And reverse the process.. When she steps on to the stand with a decent amount of consistency (like you put it :laugh:) I'd have her first hop on it, then increase the distance.
And maybe teach her to fly to it on cue when she isn't on it. (You literally drawing her there with a target or a treat, wathever she's used to). Again using a specific cue.
I'd also use the cue when she flies there of her own will.. and reward abundantly.
The combination of the three should mamke for fast progress.
Hope this helps!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Be careful what you wish for... I trained one of my caiques and he’s so eager that, even if I just raise my hand in conversation, he flies to me!
If I don’t reward him he says “treat.”

:laugh: