• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recall training my lovies

Status
Not open for further replies.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I just started recall flight training with Leyla and Nin last week.

I started with just Nin, figuring it would be easier to work with one at a time. Nin is more food motivated than Leyla, so that's why he got to go first.

Method:
1. Put Nin on a perch about a foot from me and show him I'm holding treats (safflower seeds) in my left hand, then put my left hand out of sight so he's not all, "OMG FOOD" and impossible to distract:hehe:
2. Give the verbal cue "come" at the same time I extend my right hand at chest height, hand flat and palm upwards, and hold a safflower seed in my left hand to get him to jump to my palm.
3. Say "good!" and let him take the safflower seed.

After the fourth or fifth time I didn't have to show him a safflower seed for him to fly to my hand on cue:)

Yesterday was the first time we practiced on the main floor rather than in my bedroom. There's a lot more flight room on the main floor and I wasn't sure how far he would actually recall to me! But just for kicks I put him and Leyla on the hanging playgym and I stood about 15 feet or so away. I gave the verbal cue and extended my hand and sure enough he flew across the room to my hand:D

Leyla is getting really good at short distance recalls too. She usually does not like "open" hands because so often they've meant being restrained and having feathers pulled or whatnot:( It's really great to have her flying to my open palm happily! I think this will be good for her especially.

I can't believe how fast they picked it up! I've been working with Chewy on flight and recall for close to two years and she's nowhere near where they already are! BUT she also didn't know how to fly at all before, so I think that's the reason. It's also a lot easier for a lovie to fly and manoeuvre in a house than it is for an umbie:rolleyes: I dream for Chewy to be an amazing flier someday... she is making a lot of progress but she definitely has a long way to go.

Anyway I'll have to try to post a video or two over the weekend:)

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Wow, that is so excellent! I'm so glad your little ones are picking up on it :D
I tried to teach Akira recall...but it doesn't really work, because I put her on a perch somewhere, walk a distance, turn around...and she's right behind me and usually lands in my hair. :lol:

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
:hehe:She sounds like a sweetie pie!

If my guys are being stubborn and won't come down from, say, the top of a window frame or a picture frame, etc, I just walk out of the room and sure enough there they are on my shoulder:lol:

impala400

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
Yay!:highfive: Rodrigo was really easy to recall train since he was always curious about what I was doing with the other birds and because he loved sunflower seeds so much. Now he's pretty good about flying to where I tap, especially if there's a treat.

Lovebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kathy
I must start some training with my crew. I put it off because those little rascals are so headstrong, but it would be so much more fun to have them out and about.

christypooh402

Walking the driveway
That is so cool! I think I need to try that with PeaJay. Since we rearranged the house, he can see me in the kitchen and is always flying to me in there. It makes me a bit nervous when I'm near the stove, but he always lands on my shoulder. And his is HUGELY food motivated. I don't think I've ever seen a bird eat as much as he does! I think he'd be the easiest for me to start with. That is awesome that your lovies are picking it up so fast. Your birds are so gorgeous btw!

CosmoKramer

Real Name
Zach
Congrats on the progress! I love seeing lovies in flight, they are like little hummingbirds :D
Cant wait for the videos!

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
That is so cool! I think I need to try that with PeaJay. Since we rearranged the house, he can see me in the kitchen and is always flying to me in there. It makes me a bit nervous when I'm near the stove, but he always lands on my shoulder. And his is HUGELY food motivated. I don't think I've ever seen a bird eat as much as he does! I think he'd be the easiest for me to start with. That is awesome that your lovies are picking it up so fast. Your birds are so gorgeous btw!
I love that Leyla and Nin (especially Nin!) are so food motivated! It is really great for training. Chewy is not really food motivated, so I use attention/praise for her. She loves clapping! So we have a mini party every time she flies to me on cue:hehe:

Congrats on the progress! I love seeing lovies in flight, they are like little hummingbirds :D
Cant wait for the videos!
They are like little hummingbirds:hehe: They fly so fast too!

Status
Not open for further replies.