• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recall training is going well :)

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Hi all, haven't been as active recently. Just wanted to pop in and say that recall training with Poppy has been going well! She is becoming quite the flier. She is going farther and farther each day and gaining confidence and strength. It is great to see.

This has been so successful partially because of her medicine regiment. She is on antibiotics twice daily. At first this was a struggle because she hated the taste but after some trial and error, I finally found something that worked: plain unsalted peanut butter. While it's not the healthiest, and there is the risk of fungus, it was the only thing I could mix her meds into that she would take. And she goes crazy for it.

So now, twice a day, we have a small flight training session using the peanut butter-medicine as a reward! She is so motivated by the peanut butter, I might just have to keep using it.

And it is so great to see her progress. You can tell how hard she's working to get better at flying, and she improves every day. I'm very proud of her. :heart:

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
For anyone who doesn't know, she was clipped before I got her. Now she has three primaries on each side, and boy is she determined to use them!

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
:cngrt5: and what a coincidence! We started recall training Cheeku :ysgcc: (clipped before we got him, too) and he is making excellent progress (flying upto 3 metres) even with only the or 2 primaries (sad I know....). Anyways :congratualtions: and :yah: