• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Really Worried...New Baby Green Cheek Panting (video included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
I recently bought a baby turquoise gcc. he's still living at the parrot store for now but his take home date will be next week. he's been panting a lot every time I've gone to see him and I'm really worried! Is this normal or do you think he could be sick? he's clipped, so this happens when he's just sitting there on my finger. I can't take him to the vet bc he's not in my possession yet. I already paid for him though :( The lady at the store said she's not concerned at all about it or worried, and that it's just weird and unique but he's not sick. Here is the video I recorded while I as there yesterday. Could he have some kind of respiratory illness? I'm freaking out. What should I do? He's done this every time I've gone to see him the past 3 weeks and I've brought it up every time. They've told me each time it's nothing to worry about. I'm not sure if it's heat that's doing it because it is not hot in the store.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is definitely not normal. Why won't they let you take him to the vet if you're paying for it, and have already paid for the bird?

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
That is definitely not normal. Why won't they let you take him to the vet if you're paying for it, and have already paid for the bird?
Thanks for your reply. He's still in the late stages of being weaned, so they won't let me take him home.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't know much of Conures but for me that looks more like some kind of nervous/exited behavior then a disease. (consider both the panting and the blink eyes)
Do he only do this when he is on your hand/shoulder? Does he stop as soon as you place him on a perch?
I look at his eyes, they look very clear, his feathers seems to be in perfect condition, I can't see that he is sick. But I could be wrong so wait for more here to reply.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is not normal breathing. If it were me I would get money back or demand a certificate of health from a vet. Baby is struggling to breathe. What is the quality of air in the store? Are they spraying anything? Look around for any spray bottles. If you have a vet show him or her the video. @webchirp

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Not take him home, take him to the vet and then back to the breeder! 3 weeks is a long time to be sick :(
Agree. If he is sick, don't take him home. If you take him home first and it turns out that he is really sick the breeder can say that he get sick in your home.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
It’s always better to be on the safe side. I’d demand a vet visit on their dime or at the least that they let you take him to one on yours.
I’d be concerned about a breeder that wouldn’t rather be safe when it comes to a babies health, as they’re so delicate.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope the conure will be OK. Agree with others that he/she should be seen by a vet. Could be stressed, overheated, have some kind of respiratory issue, etc. I would not be comfortable bringing the bird home without a vet check first.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
That really doesn't look normal. When my birds do the angry pant, they usually open their mouth and eyes real wide, unlike what that little guy is doing.

You said he hasn't tried flying and is clipped in that link, right? My clipped baby lovie tries to take off fairly often. It sounds like the breeder may be trying to pass off a sick or injured bird on you.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Needs to see the vet

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
That baby looks ill to me. Just off hand, I would say an upper respiratory infection - either bacterial or fungal. If you need to get very strong with the store and get that baby to a vet. If necessary you can threaten to sue them for your money back.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please let us know what happens with the baby. If that panting is continuing, hopefully, he will be taken to the vet.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
To me, if she won't let you take that baby to the vet sounds kinda strange. Is she a breeder, vet , etc or a store employee? Go with your gut, you have questions about the panting and she keeps giving you the same answer.

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much for your amazingly thorough replies! This is from a small independently owned parrot shop. The baby has been doing this from basically the beginning, but none of his siblings do it from what I have seen. I visited again today and spent some time with him (like 2 hours). He was definitely panting again from time to time (sometimes after flying, sometimes just sitting there) but not as much. Here is a video of him from today. He was eating a lot when they put him back in the cage with his buddies. (here is a photo of him eating). Here is a video of him panting randomly after calmly sitting on my finger.. The videos do not have sound but there were a few other adults and kids in the room visiting birds/talking. (sorry for my hideous nails, I didn't do a good job yesterday of removing my polish, lol). I also raised my concerns with the people at the shop and about taking him to the vet (the manager was busy so I talked to one of the workers who later told the manager). I didn't make it a big deal but I definitely mentioned it a few times to her throughout my visit when she was checking in on me. After I left and got home the manager called and told me they have another turquoise baby available if I were interested. She told me she just wants it to be a positive experience for me without apprehension, and that she understands I'm concerned, and that she will call/talk to the vet tomorrow and let me know. I'm still not sure what to do. I don't want to pick a different one but I also don't want to take home a sick or super high strung baby who will be uncomfortable/unhappy :(. When he starts panting like that his heartbeat gets really fast too, maybe he's just anxious? Isn't that going to affect his health...He's tame, he's mostly pretty sweet and just sits on my finger or tries to climb on my shoulder or snuggle my neck. So I don't get what could be making him so scared if fear is causing the panting..

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She told me she just wants it to be a positive experience for me without apprehension, and that she understands I'm concerned, and that she will call/talk to the vet tomorrow and let me know. I'm still not sure what to do. I don't want to pick a different one but I also don't want to take home a sick or super high strung baby who will be uncomfortable/unhappy :(
If you want this one, see what the vet say about it before making any decision.

One thing that worries me is that if you don't want this bird they will put it to sleep, or just sell it to another one with any vet check.
And you have paid for this bird = This bird is yours. If you still want it badly, make sure he ASAP will see the vet.
It can also be like that, that he has a contagious disease, and the shop don't want you to find out that.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does seem like there is less panting but the beak is opened even without the panting and that could indicate some opened mouth breathing. It's good that they are going to contact the vet but hope they actually bring him/her to the vet and not just consult over the phone. If you decide you are going to take him make sure they give you the invoice and any report from the vet.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
If you really want her despite her potential illness, you should follow your heart, as long as you're prepared for the potential heartbreak and vet bills. I got Ciri when she was ill, and there are a lot of people here who get sick or injured birds.

I'd be worried about getting any of their babies tbh. If one's sick, chances are that the other babies are, too.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
You would think if he had an illness it would have gotten worse in three weeks without treatment. That kind of breathing without heat or exercise or fear isn't normal to me. His eyes are bright and feathers look good, can't tell about weight. Looks so sweet and after three weeks of visits I can understand you'd be attached and want it to work. I would definitely want to rule out something congenital , an injury or illness. I would push hard for a vet visit if I was bonded. He deserves a chance and you deserve a bird that's going to be ok in the long run. I hope you can find the right answer. He's so cute

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I would advise that you take the other bird she is offering, if it is healthy. Don't feel that you are abandoning this bird - I'm sure you didn't make a deal to buy a sick bird and that baby is sick. The vet bills could run you thousands of dollars once you take him. The bird to the left, Hank, was sick when I bought him (he had chronic Aspergillosis) and it had cost me $50,000 (Fifty Thousand) when I quit counting. We saved him and he lived for 15 years (with constant medical care and many illnesses), but I would never buy a sick bird on purpose.

If you take him and provide him with vet care then he still dies, you are out not only the money, but also deep heartache. You can't even imagine the heartache right now. I don't know if this is your first bird, but your first experience as an owner should not include that kind of sadness.

A bird that young should not have breathing problems unless he is ill or has a congenital heart problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.