• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reading senegal body language

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
Hello,
About two months ago adopted a 19 year old rescue senegal and we're still in the getting to know you part of our relationship. I'm having trouble reading his body language.
He'll take treats or toys from my hands happily, when he wants them. However sometimes he appears to approach me calmly (little chirp, gently steps towards me, beak closed and feathers and wings in normal calm position, eyes not pinning), when he suddenly lunges at me. He appears in the same mood as when he's happy to receive something. What am I missing? Occasionally there will be a pause before he approaches, which I've taken to mean "no thanks", before he lunges to get it out of his face :D But he doesn't always do that.
What is the difference between a curious approach and an aggressive one?
He's started walking and flying around now and he's not shy to approach us, so I'm a bit wary of his mood when he comes over to us. And I worry it's effecting our friendship, as he's hot and cold with asking for head scratches. Sometimes he wants nothing to do with me, other times I'd like to think we're friends.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Thats life with a Senegal :)

Sometimes you’d think they’re little green monsters from hell :)
Not perse your fault for not reading them, they can flip their minds in 0,000000000000032 of a second!

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
When I first adopted Luna, he gave me a few bites to show me who was boss and I learned to move slower when we're hanging out. I think moving slower makes Luna less on the defensive as to whats going on and also lets me see when he does those pauses or just doesnt seem interested. But over time, I also found that when Luna does lunge at me, they are more warnings to me than actual bites. Also now his testiness with me seems to correlate with changes in weather, or if its past his bedtime or otherwise he just had too much social/play time.

When its hormones, I try to provide him more toys to destroy and training sessions.

Kate&Pigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kate
Thanks hjarta5 & Lincee, that's really helpful. I'll definitely try to go slowly and pay attention to the weather. I have a tortoise who is very sensitive to seasonal change, but I hadn't thought about it for parrots. Thanks for your help! :)