• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

***READ THIS and Sign PRIOR to Posting Your Bird for Rehoming****

Juliaaaa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jules Clevenger
Before re homing your bird to anyone on Avian Avenue please do your research.

Do a home visit first.
Look their name up on google.
Check out if they have any prior convictions for animal abuse.
Ask for a reference, ask for 3 references.
Are they involved with a bird rescue? Ask for a reference from there.
How long have they been a member on Avian Avenue?

This applies to Craigslist, kijiji, Facebook, anywhere online.

Consider contacting a local reputable rescue to help you prior to posting for help.

Why? We have had animal abusers, bird flippers (take your bird and sell it the next day) and more.

PLEASE do your research, you owe it to your bird. Out of sight out of mind, only for the time being. If you find something out later, you will forever regret your decision. Trust me, it happens.

If you post your bird here, you will be contacted by people looking for a FREE bird. Always charge a rehoming fee, a fair one.

Prior to post approval, please acknowledge you have read this by responding that it has been read.
Ty so much. I have read and agree to all of this.

Surya T

Real Name
Surya T

Do a home visit first.

Consider contacting a local reputable rescue to help you prior to posting for help.

Why? We have had animal abusers, bird flippers (take your bird and sell it the next day) and more.

PLEASE do your research, you owe it to your bird. Out of sight out of mind, only for the time being. If you find something out later, you will forever regret your decision. Trust me, it happens.

If you post your bird here, you will be contacted by people looking for a FREE bird. Always charge a rehoming fee, a fair one.

Prior to post approval, please acknowledge you have read this by responding that it has been read.
Read and agreed!

Sookiebird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer

Do a home visit first.

Sound advice. I agree!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Read.. totally agree.

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
Not sure if I have to read this if I just made a post discussing the possibility of rehoming, but I did anyway.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
read

Devin

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Devin Wright

Do a home visit first.

I have read this.

usnea

Do a home visit first.

Read.

free2drm

Meeting neighbors

Do a home visit first.

It touches my heart to see how much you truly care about the well-being of these little feathered friends of ours. It saddens me to see how cavalier some people are in “re-homing” these little ones. I lost my parrot yesterday. She died in our arms and was a 24 year old hawkhead. My heart is totally broken tonight. She was the heart of our home and we had her since birth. Never, could I have ever imagined not letting this be her forever home. I know some people get sick and things arise where they are no longer able to care for them but often, that is not the case and people just get tired of the responsibility with very little care where these guys end up. They never stop to think how many homes they go through and how many broken hearts they endure when the person they formed the bond with disappeared and suddenly they are in a néw environment with no sense of familiarity and continuity — often wondering “why did they leave me?”. My partner and I had provisions made that should we both die together, our hawkhead would go to his father who our little female hawkhead adored.
Please, I ask with a kind heart if you are in a position where you have to give them to new homes, PLEASE research who that person is and YES be very discriminating. That birds emotional and physical welfare is more important than someone’s feelings. If you have any doubt about someone or a bad feeling, explain to them no further and don’t let your bird go to them. You owe the prospective interested party absolutely no explanation. There are so many out there that are willing to make the forever home commitment where these babies are loved, cared for and safe. Research!!! And...don’t buy from a breeder, as we did in 1996. We know better now. Always shelter birds or homeless birds. Those that breed them care little about what happens to them after the transaction has been made. And... far to often, a bird that can live 50-90 years has a life of heartache when he/she never asked to be in captivity in the first place.

BrandyL

Moving in
Real Name
Brandy Lucas

Do a home visit first.

I have read this and fully understand.

BrandyL

Moving in
Real Name
Brandy Lucas

Do a home visit first.

I have read this.