• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Reactivity Training

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hi All,
Anyone know any good dog training sites or methods to help my dog with anxious reactivity towards people and dogs? He doesn't bite, or lunge, but barks and pulls in anxiousness and fear.Once the person or dog says hi he's fine, but his size and tone makes him look aggressive and I get scared looks from others.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Hi All,
Anyone know any good dog training sites or methods to help my dog with anxious reactivity towards people and dogs? He doesn't bite, or lunge, but barks and pulls in anxiousness and fear.Once the person or dog says hi he's fine, but his size and tone makes him look aggressive and I get scared looks from others.
Good on you for wanting to work on training!

I can’t give too many recommendations for online stuff, other than to stay far far far away from anything Cesar Milan, and anyone who associates with him. His training methods are closer to abuse than training of any sort.

If you’re able to, I would actually recommend finding a professional trainer to take in person lessons with. That way both you and your dog are able to find methods that work well for both of you, and you have someone who is there that can correct you in the event of doing some thing that is detrimental to the training.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Good on you for wanting to work on training!

I can’t give too many recommendations for online stuff, other than to stay far far far away from anything Cesar Milan, and anyone who associates with him. His training methods are closer to abuse than training of any sort.

If you’re able to, I would actually recommend finding a professional trainer to take in person lessons with. That way both you and your dog are able to find methods that work well for both of you, and you have someone who is there that can correct you in the event of doing some thing that is detrimental to the training.
Yeah i'd never go near that abuser, hes aweful.
Thank you!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe @Mizzely has some recommendations. I know she's done training with her boy Luke.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My dog does do the lunges and barking at people and other dogs and can be really scary on walks, especially if I have my kids with me as he has decided he is their protector. I have had the best luck with mostly avoiding triggers. I walk across the street when someone is sharing the sidewalk ahead, for instance. A traffic lead on his leash helps me keep control of him because its really short. Mostly we just work on walking past without reaction and he gets a treat or play time with a ball when he succeeds. If he doesn't succeed we just keep walking and hope for better next time.

You may try to work on him looking at YOU when he is unsure. A focus command where he has to look at you will help him see that YOU aren't nervous so he shouldn't be either.

I've been recommended Balance Training, but there are no trainers around me that practice it, and I don't know if it is something you need since you aren't dealing with aggression. Zak George, and Upstate Canine Academy on YouTube also were recommended to me. There is a Balancing Reactivity facebook group, too.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
This exercise would be to bring people inside your house, I misread and thought that’s where your trouble was, sorry:) I read again after posting and felt silly, but also thought I would leave my original response below in case it may help your nonetheless. With our dog we did what Mizzley does outside, I asked to heel when people approached, going in a slight curve instead of approaching heads on may help too. he got the best reward he could hope for(varied from time to time) for heeling. Eventually he would be really concentrated on me when walking past something, I treated the heel along the way several times, depending on how scary the thing was. That helped keep his focus as well:)

With our reactive dog we did an exercise where people would form a circle. Could be three people, and then two would be familiar and one stranger. You handle your dog and walk to the people. At first you remain at a good distance, you start with people your dog knows and say ‘say hello’ or something of your choosing to your dog. The people throw a very tasty treat towards your dog. Then you go to the next person, give the ‘command’ again and next person throws a treat. Watching your dogs body language you start moving closer to both the people he knows and the stranger. If he starts reacting, Rama a step back. The goal is that the stranger can give your dog a treat from up close with your dog being completely relaxt. If in the beginning you stop when the stranger is still throwing treats from a good distance, that’s fine of course. Go at your own pace. It will probably help to do this exercise with only people he knows a couple times so he understands what it is. We did this with our dog and after a couple trainings where the stranger would leave, we brought the stranger in our house which went well. It was a great way for him to form good associations with strangers. He had quite the past and was really fear-aggressive. I hope my description was clear and you get what I mean:shy:

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
OH!
I have two large reactive dogs, German shepherds.
They are 11 years old now.
I haven't read others recommendations BUT
Focus is important.
In the end, after 3 years of fighting my littermate reactive dogs to be normal, every training method, training trips with them, sports training, etc.. The best is just to change your mindset and "Keep them safe from themselves" they will make BAD decisions that could put people in jeopardy, so it is up to you not to put them in that position. We changed our lives for the dogs and they are still here making bad decisions :lol:

NILF is really important (Nothing in life is free) Copied from SPCA site
HOW NILIF WORKS
  1. Make your dog work for all good things in life.
    Work = to follow a command the dog knows well. You may want to use the basics like sit, down, and stay. Or you may choose to have your dog do something more complicated such as shake hands, roll over, wave, or play dead. Anything your dog knows is fair game.
    Good things = anything your dog wants or likes. This includes—but is not limited to—food, treats, cuddles, and greetings; having the leash put on or taken off; having doors opened to go outside or come inside; being invited up on furniture; being played with, brushed, or spoken to; getting a belly rub; having a ball thrown; going in or out of the car; or greeting a guest.
  2. Ignore pushy, demanding behavior.
    Pushy, demanding behavior = anything your dog does to get your attention and make you do something for him. This includes—but is not limited to—whining, pawing, nudging, mouthing, jumping on, staring, and barking at you.
    Ignore = this means no attention at all. None, period. This is the toughest part of your training program. Scolding your dog, saying “no!”, pushing him away, giving a command, or even looking in his direction are all forms of attention. Instead, turn your back or walk away. Wait until your dog leaves you alone before you give him the opportunity to earn something good for calm and relaxed behavior.
  3. Give the command only once.
    Once = if your dog doesn’t do what you ask, don’t do what he wants you to do. If you ask your dog to sit and he doesn’t, walk away, turn your back, or pretend he isn’t there. After a minute or so, give him another chance to earn something good. But only ask once.
  4. Make everyone who interacts with your dog on a regular basis follow the NILIF rules.
    Everyone = that means everyone. Spouses, significant others, dog walkers, neighbors who drop by every day, and especially children. Dogs often see children as either playmates. NILIF teaches dogs to see children as leaders, just like the grown-ups in the family.
  5. Be patient, especially in the beginning.
    Patience = the most important part of your training program. It may take your dog a little while before he realizes he truly has to work for the things he wants. After all, up until this point everything in life has been free.
What NILIF Looks Like
It’s your first day using NILIF and you’re ready to take Fido for a walk. You pick up his leash and he comes running over to you. You tell him, “Fido, sit.” Fido is so excited that instead of sitting, he runs around you wiggling and wagging his tail while jumping at the leash in your hand. You don’t repeat the command, run after him or scold him, or push him away when he jumps up. Instead, you calmly put the leash down and walk away. A minute later, you walk back to the
For more information call 1.415.554.3030 or visit us online at sfspca.org Page 2 of 3
Dog: Nothing in Life Is Free (continued)
leash and pick it up again. Again, Fido runs over and is too excited to listen to your command. You repeat the procedure (get the leash, give the command, Fido is too excited so you walk away) 10 times—then Fido finally sits. When he sits, you clip on the leash, praise him, and take him for a nice long walk.
The next day, it takes 6 tries before Fido sits to have his leash put on. By the end of the first week using the NILIF technique, Fido is sitting automatically when you pick up his leash.
Tips and Pitfalls
  •  Make sure your dog knows the commands you use. If he doesn’t, how can he obey?
  •  NILIF is non-confrontational. If your dog chooses not to do something you ask of him, then
    that’s fine. If he wants a reward bad enough, he’ll rethink his choice.
  •  Everyone must ask your dog to do something before giving him any kind of attention. Even
    the mailman or the kid passing on the street.
  •  Some frustration is inevitable, but don’t give up. Step away from the situation, regroup, then
    try again with something less confusing.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, Ruby currently disrespects most people including three of my nieces & nephews. She seems to feel that she should nip & discipline them. She tries to do the same thing to me & demand barks - the barking doesn't get results, but she's persistent. She likes & respects my eldest niece. It's very odd, because her manners with other dogs are impeccable. I guess other dogs expect & get better treatment...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Luke just straight up runs over Mathias like he's invisible :lol: He's very protective of them though, so them being able to tell him to cool it will be good.