• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Re-purposed Cat Tree?

Stacy M

Meeting neighbors
My kitty recently passed away and I'd love to re-purpose her tree/scratching post for my cockatiel. This thing is almost 6 feet tall, so I'd hate to just give it away. Has anyone ever done this or have some resources? The exposed wood is untreated, and the rest is covered in carpeting. I'd have to either remove the carpet, or trim off EVERY little fiber sticking out of it. Thanks!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
So sorry about your kitty! I would love to hear what folks say about this idea, as it sounds like a great idea if you can get that carpet removed!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds interesting! Only issue is cat saliva, you'd have to be quite meticulous to clean and sanitise everything (although removing fabric would help)

I'm sorry to hear about your cat passing away. :sadhug2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The other issue would be what type of wood it is made from. A lot are pressed wood which is unsafe for them to chew

Stacy M

Meeting neighbors
Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'll be removing some carpeting (and staples) to see if what's underneath is usable. Keep you posted!

Stacy M

Meeting neighbors
Thanks so much for your suggestions! I'll be removing some carpeting (and staples) to see if what's underneath is usable. Keep you posted!
If anyone is interested, this was a bust. The resting areas of the tree turned out to be thick cardboard, not wood. Also, there was some much overlapping carpet and so many staples, it would have been almost impossible to get all the carpeting off. Oh well, worth the try.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about the loss of your kitty. Thanks for letting us know what makes up those kitty trees.