• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Re-homing a Caique...

karen19

Moving in
Hi. I'm new here but am in a fix and trying to put the word out.
I have a Caique that is looking for a home... I previously found the best home for him and he's so happy, but the new owner cannot keep him and is giving me the option of taking him back to try to find another great home (which I do appreciate very much)...but am very sad about having to do, as everything was going so very well...

So..Tiki is 8 (I believe) and is well behaved. He's currently adapted to life with a brother (was an only bird with me) and according to the current owner, they're best buds until dad gets home and then Tiki shows his jealous side...
He's out most of the time as one of the owners is home all day, so that's important to me.

I don't know what else to say, here, so please let me know what to add and thank you for reading...

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Karen,

It may help to say which country/state you are in.
Good luck finding your caique a new home, he´s adorable ❤

karen19

Moving in
Thank you, Zara!
I'm in Texas in the DFW area. Sorry I should have said..(still sad about it, tbh)
I would keep him but the reason for rehoming in the first place, was this illness I have.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry to hear you are in a crummy situation.

If you are unable to locate anyone locally here, then you might also try reaching out to local avian vets, pet stores and bird clubs. Alternatively, if you use Facebook, try local groups. As always, use caution when choosing a new home.

If you aren't against it, there's always the option of shipping. A few members, myself included, have adopted birds from other members and have figured out ways of getting the birds to their new home, including several states away. I've adopted my mitred conure, Charlie, from someone 3 hours away from me in another state from another forum. I had Jayde, a red throated conure (RIP), from a member here in Ohio. I'm in Nevada. We flew her on a plane.

If you aren't comfortable adopting to someone not local, that's fine, too! Do not ever feel pressured into doing something you don't want to.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Are you only rehoming Tiki without his brother? :what:

karen19

Moving in
Oh you all are so nice! Thank you..I will look into the suggestions given and Annie's Mommie that's such a sweet thing to say!

As far as rehoming without his "brother", he never belonged to me and I believe that one will be going to a family member...I don't think (although I really am not sure, so just from the hints given) that Tiki likes to share his human too much :) But that only happens when his human is attentive to the other one. I don't know if that's a common occurrence with caiques(?) as I only had the one...

HerbieTheBip

Meeting neighbors
If I didn't have my hands full with my Lovebird, I would take him in an instant. Was looking at Caiques before I got Herbie, couldn't afford the breeder's fee.
But Herbie requires much attention.
Herbip needs much loves.
If I am lucky, Herbip requires scritches.

karen19

Moving in
Hi, Mitzi...I would be happy to pm you, if I knew how to do that...help a girl out?

I would like to clarify my earlier thoughts...He does indeed love his roommate (I've been sent photos and kept in the loop for the year and a half that he's been gone---a great situation for me), but would really like to have his owner just to himself. I wouldn't want another bird to be hurt over his jealousy. I don't know if this is common, but I imagine it is?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Hi, Mitzi...I would be happy to pm you, if I knew how to do that...help a girl out?

I would like to clarify my earlier thoughts...He does indeed love his roommate (I've been sent photos and kept in the loop for the year and a half that he's been gone---a great situation for me), but would really like to have his owner just to himself. I wouldn't want another bird to be hurt over his jealousy. I don't know if this is common, but I imagine it is?
@Mitzi
you need to have 20 posts to send a PM

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a darling little energetic birby :fairy: