• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Re-establishing a Routine

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Hey! Over the weeks with the move, university and having to be a bit more of a help for everyone during the move, I've sadly had to put Kiwi's routine out of order and honestly? I'm slacking on her.

I want nothing more than to re-establish the routine her and I had before, better it even and truly settle her into the new living situation we'll be in for a few months!

What are yalls tips and tricks for trying to reintegrate a routine back into a bird's life? Should I take it slow and start to change things over time, or, wake up the day I have everything in order and start the routine and stay consistent with it?

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Some additional context and previous suggestions...

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Personally I would start the routine and stay consistent with it.

Think carefully about what you will be able to sustain. There's no point in trying to establish a routine if you find out that you can't keep up with it: while it would be lovely if we could get our birds up in the morning and have them out of the cage all day, that will conflict with your schedule and not be something that you can keep up.

So, some things to think about:
  • Are your classes likely to be in the morning, afternoon or evening?
  • What other academic activities do you expect (labs, study groups etc)?
  • When do you plan to do individual study? How much of this can be done at home and/or using online material vs how much do you need to access on-campus resources?
  • Are you going to have a part-time job?
  • What would you like your social life to look like? Are there any student groups that you're interested in joining, and do they meet in the daytime or evening?
  • How far away do you live from campus? If you have an hour commute, that's obviously going to cut into how much time you have.
Depending on your answers, you can adjust your schedule.

If your classes are mainly in the afternoon: you may decide to wake Kiwi up early, have her out for three or four hours, pop her back in her cage and head to campus, head home after your classes are done, have her out for an hour, put her to bed then go back out to take part in your rock-climbing club/quiz night/hanging out with your friends/whatever.

If your classes are in the morning, you can swap this around - wake Kiwi up early, have her out for 30 min to an hour, go to campus, then have her out of the cage for three to four hours in the afternoon.

If you'll be out for most of the day or your class times vary a lot, you'll have to give up your evenings so she gets enough time out of her cage.

The key thing is that she needs time out of her cage and your companionship. It is very hard on a bird to be on their own in a cage for most of the day.

KiwiConure

Strolling the yard
Personally I would start the routine and stay consistent with it.

Think carefully about what you will be able to sustain. There's no point in trying to establish a routine if you find out that you can't keep up with it: while it would be lovely if we could get our birds up in the morning and have them out of the cage all day, that will conflict with your schedule and not be something that you can keep up.

So, some things to think about:
  • Are your classes likely to be in the morning, afternoon or evening?
  • What other academic activities do you expect (labs, study groups etc)?
  • When do you plan to do individual study? How much of this can be done at home and/or using online material vs how much do you need to access on-campus resources?
  • Are you going to have a part-time job?
  • What would you like your social life to look like? Are there any student groups that you're interested in joining, and do they meet in the daytime or evening?
  • How far away do you live from campus? If you have an hour commute, that's obviously going to cut into how much time you have.
Depending on your answers, you can adjust your schedule.

If your classes are mainly in the afternoon: you may decide to wake Kiwi up early, have her out for three or four hours, pop her back in her cage and head to campus, head home after your classes are done, have her out for an hour, put her to bed then go back out to take part in your rock-climbing club/quiz night/hanging out with your friends/whatever.

If your classes are in the morning, you can swap this around - wake Kiwi up early, have her out for 30 min to an hour, go to campus, then have her out of the cage for three to four hours in the afternoon.

If you'll be out for most of the day or your class times vary a lot, you'll have to give up your evenings so she gets enough time out of her cage.

The key thing is that she needs time out of her cage and your companionship. It is very hard on a bird to be on their own in a cage for most of the day.
Absolutely! I'm SUPER lucky that all of my courses are online and I don't have to go anywhere. Most of my classes are in the evenings (they range from 12-7:00) so they can be done in my room with her.

My only thing is that I'm working part time this fall, while my hours will be consistent, the days I'll be working won't be cause I'm substituting and I won't know until I get a call.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Absolutely! I'm SUPER lucky that all of my courses are online and I don't have to go anywhere. Most of my classes are in the evenings (they range from 12-7:00) so they can be done in my room with her.

My only thing is that I'm working part time this fall, while my hours will be consistent, the days I'll be working won't be cause I'm substituting and I won't know until I get a call.
Dont plan any out of cage time for the hours you may be called into work then.