• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raw sweet potatoes

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Ok, I have been trying to find facts on this .
Sweet potato are different from regular potatoes, trying to gather facts on this . If my memory is holding from my quick research, regular potatoes are in night shade family, sweet potato in morning glory family....will edit if I've got this wrong ....

So raw regular potatoes cause stomach upset and bloating, and even diarrhea. Due to some complex starches that are hard to digest and some compounds . Can You Eat Raw Potatoes? Here's What a Dietitian Has to Say
I can confirm if my dogs get a hold of raw potatoes they get the runs.

Sweet potatoes, humans can eat raw , horses can eat raw . I can confirm when my dogs got ahold of of raw sweet Potato, no runs .

I think we did offer raw sweet potatoes to our avian collection, but my memory could be faulty... I have occasionally offered raw sweet potatoes to my parrots with no side effects noticed..my parrots do enjoy them raw . Also enjoy them cooked and served warm .

A search seems to have raw sweet potatoes as ok . Your thoughts? Have you served them raw ?

IMG_20240123_105151336.jpg IMG_20240123_105229862.jpg

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I’ve served raw sweet potatoes for decades with no problems. I would say I’m more likely to offer steamed and mashed with ingredients mine are reticent to eat, like some greens.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I think I've read somewhere that, if lightly steamed, more nutrition can be obtained from sweet potatoes.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I’ve served raw sweet potatoes for decades with no problems. I would say I’m more likely to offer steamed and mashed with ingredients mine are reticent to eat, like some greens.
Excellent! Mine are all great veggies eaters . They just seem to really enjoy raw sweet potatoes even more than cooked . I picked up some red sweet potato at the health foods store this morning, they had at least five variety thst I had never known about! So I had wanted to be sure before handing them out

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I think I've read somewhere that, if lightly steamed, more nutrition can be obtained from sweet potatoes.
I did come across that , and it's the same with carrots. But I don't really have to worry about maximum beta carotene in my birds as they eat so much veggies, and pellets

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Any idea of any differences in the orange regular sweet potato vs Asian sweet potato/yam?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
IMG_20240123_121841781.jpg IMG_20240123_121843260.jpg
Cloudy eating raw sweet potato too!
Also blueberries , but chose sweet potato first

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Any idea of any differences in the orange regular sweet potato vs Asian sweet potato/yam?
No...now I need to worry? I never even knew about all these varieties until today!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I gave raw once but then read posts here on the Avenue that sweet potatoes had to be cooked.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Have you searched aa for info here? I’m going on memory (which isn’t wonderful) but I’m sure I’ve read here somewhere that there’s an enzyme that blocks other nutrients or is hard to digest or something similar to some greens.
Served raw here they’ll only be touched to get tossed to the floor. Also recall reading that there are marked differences in the make up of some of the potatoes sold to us as sweet potatoes as they’re not always sold/labeled correctly. My favourite sweet potato so far had purple skin and white insides omg they were so delicious but I haven’t seen any since Burt was quite young and the ones I tried to grow I didn’t pull in time.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
This is a nice article, it promotes cooked , but also says raw is fine tho not in excess. Many foods contain anti nutrients properties, soy, and broccoli come to mind . I will keep reading, and taking in the forum group knowledge!
But I think a slice once in awhile is going to be fine..I'm cooking it this afternoon for myself and to share more with the birds tomorrow

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Ok, I remember a time I read a lot on eclectus diets , and remember seeing raw sweet potato offered.
This link , says raw or cooked

I'm still reading and looking..but need to get my butt in gear on other projects.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
All right one more , because covers the difference with yams . Says yams should be cooked. Sweet potatoes ok raw . This is a chicken article

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Ok , the kind I picked up today at the health foods store, was red garnet sweet potato! Yay! Safe served raw, from my current research and understanding.

@Xoetix

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The main reason I cook them is that beta carotene is easier to absorb after it's been cooked. Cooking softens the cell walls, making it easier for bodies to make use of it.

Sweet potatoes also contain trypsin inhibitors, which makes it harder to digest the proteins.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
The main reason I cook them is that beta carotene is easier to absorb after it's been cooked. Cooking softens the cell walls, making it easier for bodies to make use of it.

Sweet potatoes also contain trypsin inhibitors, which makes it harder to digest the proteins.
It's starts getting so complex doesn't it? I'm interested in nutrition, as we all very much are ! But.... understanding it fully is very complex .

Share info you have , I'm curious, I have not come across big warnings while researching so far . Digging deeper than just people just recirculating information without deeper nutritional understanding.
Unlike soy , which you can not feed to babies or premature developing because of anti nutritional properties of soy, NIH

But when you start taking trypsin inhibitors, nearly all legumes and veggies and grains can have these .

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
With fresh foods it's always a balancing act. Some things are better absorbed by cooking, and bonds like oxalic acid to calcium are broken by heat, while other nutrients suffer under heat. So are you going to get a direct answer? No. Do I sometimes serve raw sweet potato? Yes. But I usually cook it because the main reason I am offering it is for the Vitamin A.

These are about carrots but they reference Beta Carotene. You can release some, too, by cutting small pieces by Ripley won't eat small pieces.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I prefer Garnet sweet potatoes, which have a deeper color. My understanding is more color, more nutrients.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
With fresh foods it's always a balancing act. Some things are better absorbed by cooking, and bonds like oxalic acid to calcium are broken by heat, while other nutrients suffer under heat. So are you going to get a direct answer? No. Do I sometimes serve raw sweet potato? Yes. But I usually cook it because the main reason I am offering it is for the Vitamin A.

These are about carrots but they reference Beta Carotene. You can release some, too, by cutting small pieces by Ripley won't eat small pieces.

Thanks. Yes I have read and heard with carrots, but they are more fiber ,tough, ( what word am I looking for ughh ;) ) than sweet potatoes .

I think getting some sweet potato and carrots in is a good thing!!! If cooking makes happier and more comfortable, go for it :) these rich sources of beta carotene, and any others , are fabulous.

All of this has helped me have a better understanding of sweet potatos . What makes a yam and varieties. And I didn't know eating them raw myself was an option and healthy. I'm planning on a adding to my salad raw tonight! It makes me laugh remembering brussel sprouts and the awful boiling, and how that's the only way my mom offered. Then finding out how much I love raw brussel sprouts!!! Love them raw, especially in salads,! And roasted !

So great that sweet potato are getting love!