• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ravens

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkiLS

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Just wondering if anyone on here keeps Ravens? If so I would love to hear about your experiences and how they are to keep. I can't seem to find much information or breeders so I figure what better place to ask? :o:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Just wondering if anyone on here keeps Ravens? If so I would love to hear about your experiences and how they are to keep. I can't seem to find much information or breeders so I figure what better place to ask? :o:
I don't keep Ravens, but I love Corvids and have done a lot of reading about them including about Ravens and Crows that have been kept as pets. Ravens are incredible problem solvers and very busy. They cache and will cache things around the house. I have read of a few accounts of them being kept as pets and their being issues with aggression. They are meat eaters and eat much more than you would think and are supposed to be expensive to feed and keep. You might check out the book Mind of the Raven.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I'll throw in a bit from what I know when I volunteered at Sarvey.

The wild crows and ravens you see outside are illegal to keep as pets in the U.S - just throwing that out there :)

Ravens are aggressive species of birds. They can be very territorial. And although their beak is soft and nimble like a softbill, when their beak is aimed in the right spot, say the face, it can inflict serious wounds, and they typically go for the eyes when in an aggressive state. If you have smaller birds or animals (snakes, mice, rats, etc) you will want to keep your raven or crow away from them, they will kill and eat them.

They require aviary size cages, and lots of flying space. They do require toys and things to keep their minds occupied. I would say any normal PARROT foraging toy works great for them, and baby toys that they CANNOT swallow. Be careful with toy parts, as they will swallow small a great many things. Large plastic parrot toys are suitable as well. Just as long as their are no breakable pieces of plastics that the bird can swallow.

I would say they are omnivores, not exactly carnivores. They do need meat in their diet, but if you feed it through the form of dog or preferably cat kibble (higher protein) that should be o.k, and feed a variety of chopped veggies and greens and nuts and grains. They will not eat seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.