• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Ratties coming home tomorrow!

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Parker was pouting at the cage door so he came out for a bit. Nikolai is smitten.

View attachment 270583

Ratties are amazing. Was Victoria's first critter when she was 5 or 6. I wanted a guinea pig for her, went to a small pet shop (keep in mind Tor is now 27).... the woman who owned the shop and I wear chasing around piggies to catch - they had a huge run and cage. I see out of the corner of my eye Tor pointing to a small cage on a shelf and the teen boy who worked there, pulled down the cage, took off the lid and next thing I saw were two champagne colored little feet and a pointy noise pop up over the edge... dang rat stood there on her mind legs waiting to be picked up. Kid showed Tor how to hold her and before I could get off the floor and yell- no way you are getting a bleeping rat, Lucy had backed into the crook of Tor's arm and started grooming, her face. At first I had trouble with the pointy face and that tail.... but Lucy won me over when in minutes..... she was an amazing girl... this was decades ago when not as much info known, Lucy lived in an aquarium. But most every night she piled everything on her cage at one end and somehow almost every time managed to push the screen lid up, even with weight on it. I would find her sleeping in bed with Tor.

Sorry babbling.... ratties take away all evil. They are so awesome we have had some incredible ratties over the years!

I look forward to pics and stories!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Ratties are amazing. Was Victoria's first critter when she was 5 or 6. I wanted a guinea pig for her, went to a small pet shop (keep in mind Tor is now 27).... the woman who owned the shop and I wear chasing around piggies to catch - they had a huge run and cage. I see out of the corner of my eye Tor pointing to a small cage on a shelf and the teen boy who worked there, pulled down the cage, took off the lid and next thing I saw were two champagne colored little feet and a pointy noise pop up over the edge... dang rat stood there on her mind legs waiting to be picked up. Kid showed Tor how to hold her and before I could get off the floor and yell- no way you are getting a bleeping rat, Lucy had backed into the crook of Tor's arm and started grooming, her face. At first I had trouble with the pointy face and that tail.... but Lucy won me over when in minutes..... she was an amazing girl... this was decades ago when not as much info known, Lucy lived in an aquarium. But most every night she piled everything on her cage at one end and somehow almost every time managed to push the screen lid up, even with weight on it. I would find her sleeping in bed with Tor.

Sorry babbling.... ratties take away all evil. They are so awesome we have had some incredible ratties over the years!

I look forward to pics and stories!!

OMG thank you for sharing. That was such an awesome story :heart:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
They are adorable! :heart: I'm really jealous, yet so excited for you and your family! Love their names, by the way! :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Congrats! They look like fun!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Stark (the black one) was supposed to be really shy, but he LOVES to eat and is the first one to get at the chop I make in the morning. He now asks for me to pet him :D

Parker is my bold little grey faced boy, and is the first to try out anything

Wilson is bold when Parker is nearby, but very clever, and has already figured out many of the foragers in the cage :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's a great pic! They look bigger than I thought they were from yesterday's photo. They sure won the lotto when they got you as a rat mom.

aww thank you!! :heart: The birds trained me well for this moment :lol:

Yes they are bigger for sure! Only 4 months old and already the same size as my girls I used to have were! :eek:

I'm just so in love with them. The little whisker kisses I get are the most darling thing ever.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely Will they get any bigger? Love your setup..for me the funnest thing about a new pet is the cage setup!

Mine too!!

Apparently males can keep growing until 8 or 9 months old. The older two are only 4 months, so it's very likely! Males can also weigh more than a lb each! So far they won't sit still long enough for me to weigh them :lol:

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Are they neutered? I know they can't make babies since they're all male but curious if that's something rat owner do?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Are they neutered? I know they can't make babies since they're all male but curious if that's something rat owner do?

They are not neutered but they can be. Usually it's only done if there is a rat in the group that is being too aggressive to others, or if they will be in a mixed gender group of rats. Females they are recommending being spayed more these days because it drastically cuts down on mammary tumors (which females often suffer from later in life). +

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Stark curled up in my shirt last night and stayed there for over an hour! He probably would have stayed longer but I had to go back to my office to work on orders and the pets are not allowed in there.

curled up.jpg

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
OMG! That is one of the many reasons I love ratties! So cute and sweet! Now, if only I could get my parents to see what great animals they are.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
OMG! That is one of the many reasons I love ratties! So cute and sweet! Now, if only I could get my parents to see what great animals they are.

Parker and Wilson, even though they are a bit older (2 weeks) have zero interest in sitting still yet :lol: When they are out it's very important they have 100% attention because they WILL get into everything LOL