• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

RAT info please

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
He is sure darn cute! I would like a rat, but we've decided no more rodent pets. They're so smart and you get so attached to their little personalities, that it's heartbreaking when they go. :(

Hairless need to be kept a little warmer and have access to wamrer bedding. We used to give the hairless hamsters at petsmart (when I worked there ages and ages ago) the reminants of the toliet paper rolls. When there were about a dozen or so sheets left, we'd pull the roll and let them have the whole thing. They'd chew up the cardboard and TP. My regular hamsters that I personally owned enjoyed this greatly as well.

Most rodents potty train easy, so get a 'corner box' and put in in the corner where it goes frequently. Scoop the soiled bedding (aspen or that carefresh/eco stuff, no pine or cedar as others have mentioned) into the box and it will get the idea quickly. This is wonderful because you can just dump the box daily and it will keep the odors in cage down dramatically! The only downside to rodents is that their pee smells, but that is easily controled with cage and litterbox cleanings.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Tanya,

Rats are awesome!! He is very cute. You got a lot of good advice. They love to chew and need enrichment and toys like birds do. Don't have him in the bird room where any birds can land on his cage, I had one of mine try to pull my cockatiel inside the cage by her leg one time! There are a lot of rodent or small animal mixes at the pet store you can get for him.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
They really are wonderful, intelligent, affectionate pets.. the only thing that stinks about them is that the have such a short lifespan. My little girl, Brew, wasn't a hairless rat but she was wonderful, didn't need to keep her caged up because she was little box trained. she ran around the bird room and helped to keep things clean. She slept in bed with me and my Umbrella Cockatoo at night, lol. Not that I would recommend mixing animals like that.. I was very careful and supervised them. Also dangerous to have them in bed with you, I know.

A vet -tech friend of mine had a hairless rat and it seemed she just required a little more warmth than a regular one. Maybe you could get a little shirt or something :D

Best of luck!!

- Sarah & Flock

Status
Not open for further replies.