• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rapid weight gain

babychicks

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jen
Hey everyone, I have two linnies, a male and a female (3 years old). They are bonded and we definitely catch them mating frequently; however we have not given them anywhere to nest and generally try to discourage egg laying.

Over the past couple of weeks, the female has rapidly gained weight (going from 55 to 62 grams) and seems a little sluggish. She has been extra cuddly with us and has also been exhibiting some increased nesting behaviors like shredding toys and rearranging the pieces at the bottom of the cage. Her abdomen might feel a little swollen but it’s difficult to tell.

Is this normal linnie behavior prior to laying eggs, particularly the rapid weight gain? She’s never laid before. Alternatively, could she be ill? Worth taking to the vet?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds to me like she could have some eggs forming. But if there's any doubt it's always best to get a vet check up to rule out any medical issues. I'll tag a few members that may know if this is likely to be egg related. @Matto @Mockinbirdiva @BrianB @Laurie @Irishj9

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like she’s working on an egg. She may have very watery droppings as her body works on making the egg and shell. If you have any concerns about her health it’s best to see a vet.

babychicks

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jen
Thanks, everyone! I’m keeping an eye on her and will see if she passes an egg in the next couple of days. Will probably set up a vet appointment as well. I’ll enjoy the extra snuggly birdy in the meantime.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomesign: