• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rapid flapping. Normal behavior or..?

JayByrd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
I got a quick question. All our tiels, except one are clipped, and can't fly. I did notice though that Rebel likes to hold onto his perch regardless of being in his cage or not, and spread his wings and just flap his wings and bob around on the perch. then he stops. Is this a normal behavior?

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
My tiels will often do that...just exercising, I think. My lovebird does it also.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
same here, Rocky, use to do that especially if he had been locked up all day. At the farm in his travel cage he would almost tip himself over. i had to watch for that like a hawk.
:tiel2: and his mom

noelmac

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rosemary
I agree . . . they are just stretching their wings and exercising. Noel does this if she wants attention and also sometimes when she gets out of her cage at times.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
My eclectus does that and can make quite a breeze!

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
Oh yeah it is very normal! my tiel Daisy she does it a lot like CeciliaZ said it is a form of exercising! :smuggrin:

JayByrd

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jay
Thank you so much AA. I don't know how I'd get by without you guys. Yeah, rebel does it every so often. i didn't know if he was irritated, or wanted to breed or what. good to know. His Mom, Zazu, does do the "flip upside down, and spread her wings" alot. I know that's a normal female behavior.

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Stryder does this - he seems so happy when he just holds onto his perch or swing and flaps.

I think it's pretty normal fun behaviour :)

noelmac

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rosemary
Sometimes I'm afraid Noel will loose her grip and fly into the wall or something!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
My macaw loves getting on top of the play stand and flap away. Almost a tornado here!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I got a quick question. All our tiels, except one are clipped, and can't fly. I did notice though that Rebel likes to hold onto his perch regardless of being in his cage or not, and spread his wings and just flap his wings and bob around on the perch. then he stops. Is this a normal behavior?
Wingercizing - though I personally call it "going flapsky" :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: