• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Random Adorable Pi

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
(Side note: I watched a really badly video on YouTube today that was about plumheads, this person was incorrect on a lot of thing... Like bluffing and referred to plumheads as "frail". They clearly didn't actually know what they were talking about. Anyhow I want to share more of the real traits of these wonderful birds. Understanding is better than assuming they all bluff or are somehow too fragile to behave the way you want.. ridiculous to ever try to control a bird, it is a friendship!)
Bird YouTube! :shifty:
Sorry for the rant-- back on task

There was something outside that he saw and I didn't. Not sure if it was a bird of prey or something else. The ducks saw it too, as I could see they were also looking up. This is how a plumheads responds to very sincere terror. He freezes and bows. He didn't break eye contact on whatever was scaring him and tucked his beak behind my finger. He started panting but didn't move from this state for a few minutes. Poor little guy :( look at the terror in his eyes. When he is startled by something he will of course fly off, but when it is something very scary this is another way he handles himself. I respect that this is what he needs and let him this time. After he seemed more relaxed he went back to his cage for a nap. I am weirdly flattered that he flew to me to hide on my finger. Poor little birdo. Sometimes there are scary things outside.
Yes Pi, your mommy will protect you! :xflove::heart:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
What type of tree? It looks so pretty!!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Q-- do you have to water spray it off before bringing into the house? [bugs, other bird poop, etc]... CAN'T BELIEVE THE SIZE OF THAT BRANCH!!! :rofl:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What type of tree? It looks so pretty!!
Q-- do you have to water spray it off before bringing into the house? [bugs, other bird poop, etc]... CAN'T BELIEVE THE SIZE OF THAT BRANCH!!! :rofl:

It is from my own garden. It is a cutting from my curry tree :)

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I watch a cooking show w/ Jamie [can't think of his last name] [has a British ? accent]... He says Curry Leaves are SUPER WONDERFUL! Flavor dishes... Do you do that? He keeps some in the freezer to add!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I watch a cooking show w/ Jamie [can't think of his last name] [has a British ? accent]... He says Curry Leaves are SUPER WONDERFUL! Flavor dishes... Do you do that? He keeps some in the freezer to add!
Yeah fresh curry or recently dried curry is the best. I freaking love the stuff. My unique application is curry cucumber pickles which is legend. I buy the cucumber from the farmer's market :)

PXL_20210808_081901773.jpg

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Guess I thought from Jamies description/ usage... that the Curry Leaves were different from the dried, ground Curry?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Guess I thought from Jamies description/ usage... that the Curry Leaves were different from the dried, ground Curry?
Same plant but the fresh is far more fragrant and the flavour in the dish is much different. It is almost like they are different plants the difference is huge. I'm not sure if you can assess to fresh curry in your area, but give it a try. It really is superior in flavour, especially for Indian cuisine.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
He was ripping leaves off his branch, but when I got my phone to share with you lot Pi decided I was more interesting. He is standing on my knee and helping edit his human.

Finger nails don't belong... PXL_20211210_003457658.jpg PXL_20211210_003346835.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I want the recipe, pleeeeeez
I cut the cucumber into quarters, but I think you can cut them in whatever shape. Place them into a sterilised tempered jar with a sprig of fresh curry or even several fresh curry leaves. I also place garlic cloves, but you can also use minced garlic, in the jar. On the cooktop I heat up the pickling brine: I use apple vinegar, water, generous amounts of seasalt, a small bit of sugar, pickeling spices and mustard seed. Cook the brine just to a boil then pour over top of your cucumbers and close the jar. Allow the jar to rest for a few hours and then place it in the fridge. They are ready to eat in about 4 days.

More salt gives them a crunch!
They should have a curry taste but a buttery texture with a crunch :)

Last edited:

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He’s having such fun with his branch!! What a cutie pie :xflove:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So I managed to get some pictures of Pi bathing. Eventually he became impatient that I was only using one hand. :loveshower: he does have a shower perch, but he doesn't like it so it became a window perch in Picard's room. He likes my hand.

:blahblah:
PXL_20211216_053147568.MP.jpg PXL_20211216_053153235.jpg PXL_20211216_053202485.jpg
"Ok," he judges, "enough of this one hand thing."
PXL_20211216_053203623.jpg

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Oh, Pi! Ridiculously cute!