• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Random Adorable Pi

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Hmmmm, I like that idea of using a stick twig to put strawberry on. I usually put mine on a skewer, but my bird won't touch it on the skewer.
I do use a skewer in his cage too. I have a few and they go through the dish washer. I try to offer him snacks in a variety of ways, he gets very excited about it when it is presented differently. I can hand him a walnut piece... or wrap the walnut into a paper and he will always pick the paper first. He is a smart dude and enjoys any challenge that is within his physical ability.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmmm, I like that idea of using a stick twig to put strawberry on. I usually put mine on a skewer, but my bird won't touch it on the skewer.
Buddy will not eat them unless I cut them into small chunks. He's still weird about strawberries, I think it's either too acidic for him or it's the mix of the red & white. If not that then I'm clueless.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
No picture to attach this time, but Pi update.

He had his annual exam today. Took his bloods and we will have the results soon. The vet was great, very informed on his species. Since Pi is so friendly the vet handled him without a towel for his physical exam. Though this turned out to be a mistake. He was very stressed about this stranger touching his precious little body. He was honking and oinking and making a bunch of racket that I NEVER heard him make before. I was nearly in tears just from his sad noises. --Any distress from that little face-- I can't deal.

The vet used a towel for the following stuff and he was much better. The vet was empathetic of his experience. She just thought he would be ok since he hopped out and up so easily and is clearly a friendly bird to humans. So in the end no harm done. He did need to be gassed [isoflurane] to do his bloods, poor little dude. He is home now though and sleeping in his spot. He will be ok!

He is in very good health from what we know without the bloods. Gram stain was great. There was discussion about increasing some of his fruit uptake and removing hemp seed from his diet. We had been offering hemp to help with his molt, but the vet has informed us that fruitivores can be sensitive long term. We also are going to reduce some pine nuts. They are his favourite training treat so we might get carried away sometimes. We will start using almonds and see how we go there. He can still have a pine nut once in awhile, but must diversify his training treats so he isn't eating as many pine nuts.

So cutie honking Pi wanted you to know he is HAPPY to be HOME and no more poking and invasion to his precious littleness until next time :)

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Digital :hug4: (without the actual touching) to Pi!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Someone has developed a robot crush!

@Zara , you may appreciate this as it is that little Japanese bird. :p

Awwwwww :cloud9: Pi is sush a cutie! Nice to see someone enjoying the little birds :swoon: :loveshower:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Pi's Pak-O-Bird came in the mail today! We ordered from Pablo's Parrots, which I didn't even know about before the Secret Santa gift last Dec :)

I set it up on my desk to start the acclimation process and I think it was successful. He was already landing on top of it and walking around. We needed to go with a medium size even though he is a small bird by weight...simply because he has a VERY long tail.

I can't wait until he feels safe with it. I would love to take him on walks and let him get to see more of the area from the safety of his Pak. -He does really well in his old carrier so I think it should be smooth. His old carrier was a dog carrier that I sort of converted by adding a perch.. but I wouldn't trust it on outdoor adventures. This pak is very well made and everything is design with the bird in mind- like stainless steel hardware.

Wish Pi luck with his training. :D

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a lucky floof!!!!! I'm sure you will both be peddling around town before you know it!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So first walk was today. We did a very short one for the first go. Walked about 4 min to the little park near me and sat on the grass until he showed relaxed body language and then we returned home. The whole adventure was about 23 mins, a nice sampler. He was worried about the cars that drove by whilst we were on the move. Once we stopped he relaxed, however I don't think it was his favourite thing as of yet.

For training I have just been leaving the pack open in the bird room on my desk with treats in it. He has been landing on it, walking on it and even started relaxing in it whilst it was open, so this is why we made the first attempt. So hopefully this will be the start of walks a few times a week when the weather is good for it.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He does look very pleased! :heart: What a cutie. I’m the day went so well!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
How exciting!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran