• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ramps?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi all, I apologize for not having time to search at length, so feel free to link me to previous threads if this has been covered before.

My 'tiel Kevin (actually a girl) got spooked, flew into the wall, and sustained a severe head and probable spinal cord injury about 3 weeks ago. She's made huge improvements since then, but still can't really grip with her toes. She is mobile and gets around very well by sort or hopping/lurching along. She can also fly and has been using this more and more. But, cage bars and perches are still out and I suspect always will be.

So, here's where I need your help: Because she lives with 3 other tiels, I am working on adapting the bottom half of their shared double flight for her. She's been in the flat bottom padded with towels for a couple weeks now and is doing great, but I'd like to give her more variety. I'm looking at wood platforms, but I'm a bit at a loss as far as what to use for ramps connecting them. Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you, I'll definitely keep those in mind!

Here's a video of her trying to use a low perch, to give people a better idea of her current mobility.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried wrapping the perches and platforms in vet wrap or fleece? That's what I use for Java, it helps him grip easier.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried wrapping the perches and platforms in vet wrap or fleece? That's what I use for Java, it helps him grip easier.
I haven't tried platforms at all yet, but wrapping is a good idea. Her toes are basically paralyzed so I don't think she'd be able to perch even with wrap.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I haven't tried platforms at all yet, but wrapping is a good idea. Her toes are basically paralyzed so I don't think she'd be able to perch even with wrap.
Same with Java. He can't perch without leaning against something because of his missing leg. He's still dealing with bumblefoot so I make sure everything his foot touches is soft. You could place a small dog or cat bed at the bottom of the cage for extra padding, and covering it with fleece.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you use any particular kind of fleece? I've been using towels but I'd like to get something nicer if this is going to be permanent.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you use any particular kind of fleece? I've been using towels but I'd like to get something nicer if this is going to be permanent.
I use non-piling fleece that I got from Wal-Mart. You can also use baby blankets, just make sure you take the stitching out in case your birdie is a chewer

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
Poor thing, bless her heart... The video was so hard to watch but I’m so happy that she’s improving and keeps fighting.

You could use a wide bird ladder and stretch vet wrap across the length of it several times so that it’s a continuous surface, and then put two wooden dowels on either edge of the ladder + wrap those as well so they’re attached. The idea is that it’d form kind of a “bowling alley gutter” type chute with sides to guide her movements and would prevent her from tipping over the edge and falling.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know it's hard, but it's huge improvement! This was right after her injury:

She had no motor control at all and was basically comatose.

I like that idea, @soleaux ! Also just to be clear, the perch is there for her to practice with under supervision, because I'm hoping her mobility can continue to improve. I'm not keeping her in a setup where she's frustrated.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am sorry that happened to Kevin. It looks very good that she is finding her way.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As I'm sure you are aware, Jasper has severe arthritis in both feet and legs. She had two toes amputated from her left foot because the pain couldn't be controlled. What I have devised for her for perches are 1" X 4" lumber and they have made her much more comfortable. She can get around pretty well, but has virtually no grip in her feet - she does fall more often than I like.

She sleeps in a crate with a doggy bed and some of her toys at night. Sleeping in that crate has improved her pain level a lot.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Hankmacaw How does she get around between perches? Kevin can't do cage bars at all, so that's my main challenge right now.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sorry, jasper doesn't have that issue. Perhaps you could figure out how to make the different perches bump up against each other, so she has a sort of highway system.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Kevin got hurt. I agree with the idea regarding using ladders and vet wrapping those very tightly. If you are a DIYer or know someone who is you could create wood ramps from bird safe lumber and bird safe hardware. You would also wrap these with vet wrap or non-pilling fleece.
There is a ladder where the rungs are adjacent to each other, no gap, and you could wrap something like that. I will try and find a link to that product.
Hope that Kevin will continue to improve.

soleaux

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nola
I know it's hard, but it's huge improvement! This was right after her injury:

She had no motor control at all and was basically comatose.

I like that idea, @soleaux ! Also just to be clear, the perch is there for her to practice with under supervision, because I'm hoping her mobility can continue to improve. I'm not keeping her in a setup where she's frustrated.
Oh of course, I didn’t think that for a second! I am so happy she’s improved so much, it sounds like she’s come a long way :hug8:

I found some hamster ramps that have guided sides, though they’re a bit shallow. You could lay down vet wrap for easier grip or vet wrap the sides to make them taller. It doesnt say what the width of the ramp is.. might be too small, but they do have one for rabbits as well which might work better.

Mgz Alamber Plastic ladder Hamster

Voltrega Hamster bag 1 Straight Cut (C20)

Voltrega Escalera Rabbit

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How is Kevin going?

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I bought platforms for both of my fids from Tweetie Pies and @Parrot Hotel & Shop and my babies love them. Gracie has bad arthritis and has a hard time getting around. Bo is and older bird as well and I figure he would love them and he does. He books it across them to come and play his bells with me.