• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raja

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckabu

Sitting on the front steps

Raja has been with me a few months, his owner gave him up because she was frustrated with his feather problems. My friend brought him home, gave him baths, etc.,etc. I brought him to my house to begin medication. He was on metranyzidol (please forgive my spelling) for 20 days with no changes. Our vet found that his feathers are growing in abnormally. Multiple feathers are coming in through one follicle, he had to really dig to get some of his tail feathers out:(. He is now on .02 meloxicam for 14 days, .08 baytril twice a day for 21 days, .05 ronizol for 10 on and 10 off 10 on, a Tranquility blend (that smells soo bad!) twice a day and Healx Soother spray with F10 twice a day.

I had never encountered a Indian Ringneck that picked before. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks, Becky

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
awww all my best for Raja!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe what beautiful baby. i don't have experience with ringnecks but I am sure someone else will help soon!

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Aww, what a poor baby, very cute though. Give him lots of toys, things to rip up, get him busy. IRN's get board easy and they need to keep active and they NEED lots of attention. Im glad you took him in, now he has a nice home. Once he knows he is loves he might stop. Good Luck!

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
never had experience with a feather picking IRN, cos it's rare, they usually express their unhappiness by nipping and bitting, screeming...poor Raja...like Chicklette said before me, they need a lot of toys, quality time and a good diet. Mine adores wood, soft pine and balsa, even fresh branches if you could find those, paper is always a great toy, foraging also.

beckabu

I've put in plenty of toys, he likes to beat a couple up and is beginning to shred a mini pinata, isn't interested in chewing wood yet. He is practically perfect in every other way, he talks great, always seeking kisses, steps up, likes everyone but Me:(. I'm the medicine monster! He still steps up for me and never bites, but he gets alarmed when I get close. My friend had medicated him some and went through the same thing. She thinks he will forgive me. I medicated one of my AG's when he first came (10 or 11 years ago), and he has never forgiven me. I'm praying the meds help him, he is obviously in discomfort. He lets out loud squawks of pain while preening throughout the day. He was bloodying his butt every few days until the doc was able to get some of those imbedded feathers out. It's a week today he has been on the meds, hopefully by this time next week I notice some improvement.

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
he'll probably forgive you later on :hug8:what he'll need now a well balaced diet, to help medication work and grow new feathers...poor Raja, what did his previous do to him that his feathers look so bad?

Last edited:

beckabu

I don't think it was anything she did. We were able to figure out who the breeder was and spoke with her. She said that Raja's father had feather issues, too. It was never determined what the problem was. I hope that we can figure out what the issue is. We are waiting for test results for PBFD and polyoma. I really don't think it is beak and feather because his head is perfect, there isn't any patchy spots. However, I don't have any experience with either of those diseases (and hopefully never will).

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
Have you tried aloe juice? 50/50 water and aloe juice. Help soothe his skin maybe? I give my guys herb salad too, I wish you were closer I would give you some to try.

When I got the chance to meet Raja I fell in love...he is seriously SOOOOOO sweet. I hope you guys get it all figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.