• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raising Silkies 2022!

Bunchobird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mali
Hello!
I hatched out 3 silkies this year and wanted to start a thread to follow their progress! IMG_6091.jpg IMG_6214.jpg IMG_6212 (1).jpg IMG_6204 (1).jpg Attachment (2).JPG Attachment (1).JPG Attachment.JPG IMG_6212.jpg IMG_6204.jpg IMG_6183.jpg IMG_6203.jpg IMG_6162.jpg IMG_6150.jpg 67555384067__BA23639B-C16D-4027-A949-CBF280693BED.jpg

Sorry that the photos are not in order! I plan on updating in a few minutes or tommorow, but these photos cover the first 5 days as I was at a camp and a petsitter was watching them.

These chicks are silkies, We think that they are roosters because of the heads having big puffs and the wings being larger at the start. We know this method isn't very reliable, but it's fun to see if it works!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is that the dog that got to your duckling? I’d be very uncomfortable with the way it’s looking at these chicks.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
So floofy, even floofy feet! It kinda makes me think the chick is a super famous singer I didn't know existed.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
Is that the dog that got to your duckling? I’d be very uncomfortable with the way it’s looking at these chicks.
I am hating your critisizim... yes that is a dog and it is a CHICKEN FOR GODS SAKE!! HOW MANY TIMES DID I SAY IT WAS A CHICKEN. the dog is obviosuly not alone with the chick, it has no access to the chick because the chicken was in a brooding container. Someone (obviously) was there to take the picture (which was me). I would not let my dog out with the chickens even if they are with me. The dog is fine, its just looking at the chickens... I know MY dog's Body language.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am hating your critisizim... yes that is a dog and it is a CHICKEN FOR GODS SAKE!! HOW MANY TIMES DID I SAY IT WAS A CHICKEN. the dog is obviosuly not alone with the chick, it has no access to the chick because the chicken was in a brooding container. Someone (obviously) was there to take the picture (which was me). I would not let my dog out with the chickens even if they are with me. The dog is fine, its just looking at the chickens... I know MY dog's Body language.
She was referring to this duckling: Hatching a single duck... (sad update #6)

Shez was simply concerned due to a dog having killed other birds in your home before.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Though I, too, wouldn't let birds and dogs hang out together, I must confess to being curious about this dog. It looks very cute. Any chance of better pics in the Bark Park?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So very cute :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I love Silkies!

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
Though I, too, wouldn't let birds and dogs hang out together, I must confess to being curious about this dog. It looks very cute. Any chance of better pics in the Bark Park?
I will try to get around to posting some photos of nugget! He has an instagram @nugget.the_puppy

I just noticed that the silkies have 5 toes on one foot, and then on the other have 4 toes, this is on all 3 chicks... is this just a quirk among the quirk (genetic quirkiness) or is something wrong! IMG_20220607_162426.jpg

Also, I promise it wasnt on it's back for more than 3 seconds!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I just noticed that the silkies have 5 toes on one foot, and then on the other have 4 toes, this is on all 3 chicks... is this just a quirk among the quirk (genetic quirkiness) or is something wrong!
All normal! Silkies are meant to have an extra toe (totaling five on each foot). Some don’t hatch with one or both of the extra toe/s.

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
I feel like it is a stupid question, but will they grow the toe XD ?
not like it matters if they will, but just curious

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I feel like it is a stupid question, but will they grow the toe XD ?
not like it matters if they will, but just curious
No, they shouldn’t

Bunchobird

Real Name
Mali
The whole house is having terrible allergies, could it be the chickens o.0 We didnt have this last year when we had the rhode island reds... O.O

Reggie

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Silkies are so so cute. I went to the chicken swap here a few weeks ago and someone had red silkies. I love feathered feet!