• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raising babies - where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

colla-voce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
I recently got a job hand-raising baby parrots (only one or two at a time) in my home from around 6 weeks old. I have a while before I start, since I will be going through extensive & in-depth training, but am being asked to think about which species I would like to start with. I was thinking that a pi or Indian ringneck/Alexandrine might be a good choice, or maybe a mid-sized Poicephalus, since they aren't frighteningly tiny but they also aren't quite as needy as some of the larger birds. I can't imagine combining the neediness of a baby with the neediness of a cockatoo or amazon... That's a challenge for when I'm more experienced. Anyway, opinions and suggestions would be so appreciated. Best to all of you!

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
According to the breeders I trust, babies need to be raised with other babies (and adults if possible) so feeding two instead of one would be best.

My personal knowledge regarding neonates is of parent raised chicks only. It is nice when a parrot knows it is a parrot, not a person. European breeders are convinced that hand fed babies often develop behavior problems if they never see another bird.

Good luck with your endeavor!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I believe in starting small and working up to the big guys. Have fun.

colla-voce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
According to the breeders I trust, babies need to be raised with other babies (and adults if possible) so feeding two instead of one would be best.

My personal knowledge regarding neonates is of parent raised chicks only. It is nice when a parrot knows it is a parrot, not a person. European breeders are convinced that hand fed babies often develop behavior problems if they never see another bird.

Good luck with your endeavor!
Ahh! Do you think I should back out? The aim here is to prevent these babies from ending up in shelters by guiding them around behavioral problems from the start and keeping in contact with the people they end up with to help out with any issues they may have. If raising them myself would actually encourage the behavioral problems it's not something I want to do! Do you think it would be an overall positive if I never raised them singly and there was an adult parrot in the house?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How long did they say that you would be training?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ahh! Do you think I should back out? The aim here is to prevent these babies from ending up in shelters by guiding them around behavioral problems from the start and keeping in contact with the people they end up with to help out with any issues they may have. If raising them myself would actually encourage the behavioral problems it's not something I want to do! Do you think it would be an overall positive if I never raised them singly and there was an adult parrot in the house?
It doesn't matter "how" you handfeed/rear the baby bird. The fact that it "is" being taken from its parent and being handfed/reared is where the problems lies.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Wait, it wasn't my point to make you back out! I was just providing a point of view. Someone is going to feed/raise these babies so it might as well be you, because you care.

I think it would be great if they had another clutchmate, regardless of species. And of course it would be nice for them to see an adult parrot interact with you and fly, showing them how nice parrots behave. The breeder I corresponded with in Denmark said it is a few years down the road when they notice problems with hand fed babies. So much of the "blame" lies with the eventual owners.

It sounds to me like you will be giving them a good start. I don't see U.S. opinions on hand fed baby parrots changing anytime soon. :)

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
Handfeeding and raising babies is a lot of fun and very rewarding. It is a serious job and takes some time to really know what your doing.

colla-voce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
JLcribber: I've honestly never heard of anyone having an issue with handfeeding as a practice. I'm about to do some research on my own, but if there are any things you think I should read about the effects of handfeeding on parrots, or if you have personal experience, I would love to hear from you about it.

waterfaller1: I'm not sure of the exact dates; a few months. It's a bit of a trek for me to get out there so it might take longer if I don't have the time to make the journey on some days.

sodakat: You certainly weren't being pushy or anything, I'm just concerned about accidentally doing the exact opposite of what I intended. Though you have a point, I do care very much and the thought of some schmuck who's just trying to profit raising the birds that would have been with me does give make me uncomfortable.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I'm just running my own parrot keeping experiment like we all are, trying to do the best I can for those in my care and observing and trying to learn from them.

I found that raising a couple hand fed youngsters together (I bought them after they were weaned) allowed them to explore and learn from each other and figure out bird business.

I've also taken in rehomes that were mishandled including one who became so attached to her female owners in two separate homes that she was agressive to other family members and other parrots. She was rehomed 3 times. When she came to me she didn't know how to behave with other parrot of the same species. Today, 2 years later she is mating. Now my goal is NOT to have her produce young, but I'm happy that even a 14 year old mixed up hen can be taught by other birds who know they are birds how to behave normally.

I also have seen my pair raise chicks and understand the process, having watched 3 clutches raised through weaning by the parents. The chicks don't need human help until the parents begin weaning them so are not interested in people until then. But once the parents are ready to send them on their way they become lovely pets who still know they are birds.

The birds I own who mate and mingle with other birds are just as much my pets as any single bird I've owned.

When I mentioned that it was also the owner's "fault" when birds have problems, I was referring to improper handling and too much cuddling and stroking, like was done with the older hen I mentioned above.

I have searched for others to talk about my opinons with and mostly find people with similar ideas, in Europe.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I have hand raised many parrots and learnt [self taught] over ten years ago.

Are you prepared to:

wake up around 6am everyday?
get covered in formula?
have your life evolve 110% around the babies?
stay awake and feed the babies before you go to bed?
lose your weekends?

I don't agree on sharing the feeding with someone else as YOU learn the texture each baby prefers. Some won't eat it too runny or too thick. Some prefer it runny. Are they taken from the nest at six weeks or are you taking over from six weeks? If from the nest, six weeks is way too old. Most parrots start to wean and fledge at that age.

You also can't just feed the babies, put them away and go about your normal life. If they are kept away from humans, the whole hand raising will be a waste of time.

Hand raising isn't fun and some days I am too tired to feed them but I have to and I keep doing it because I adore it. It is in my blood.

Can you keep them safe from your housemates and their friends/family?

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
When I handfeed a young baby, around 10 days old....I have to be home to give feedings every 4 hours! It is demanding. Not a job for everyone thats forsure.
But when handfed correctly, there is nothing better then having a well adjusted, healthy, hand tame baby!

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
When I handfeed a young baby, around 10 days old....I have to be home to give feedings every 4 hours! It is demanding. Not a job for everyone thats forsure.
But when handfed correctly, there is nothing better then having a well adjusted, healthy, hand tame baby!
No disrespect intended, but it isn't the sweet baby that has problems. It's when that bird reaches maturity there can be confusion on its part.

Saemma asked today which of our birds is most demanding of our attention. My answer was Sailor (followed by others). Now, Sailor was a parent raised boy, from my pair's second clutch. I worked with him and his sister after they fledged and we became friends. His sister lives with a family in another state and is a wonderful pet even though she's an only bird. They are 3 1/2. Sailor knows he's a bird. He interacts properly with the rest of my flock. But he also is a good companion to me. He wasn't hand fed yet is well adjusted and definitely a pet, albeit a pet who mates with other birds.

My two that were hand fed who grew up together and became mates also are good with birds and people.

My point is, having a well adjusted ADULT bird is what is important. I think there are different ways to get there. Hand fed babies, IMO, need to grow up with and live with others of their own species in order to be well adjusted.

Parent raised babies may do okay as single birds because they imprinted on birds not people.

I don't claim to be 100% correct on this and freely admit my opinions have changed over time, observing my own birds and realizing why many, including the adults I've acquired, are rehomed.

The most important thing is to do what is best for each bird, especially considering they live as long as people do and generally have more than one home. Anything we can do to give them a good start is, IMO, very important.

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I started in 1971 raising a Blue and Gold. Whew....it was quite a job for a first bird. Then I got serious about hand feeding and started with a few pairs of lovebird breeders. Lovebirds are my suggestion. Maybe cockatiels too.

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
I agree Katherine.....Lovebirds seem to be an easier bird to handfeed. I have never fed a macaw. That would intimidate me! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.