• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rainbow lorikeets have laid eggs, what do I do?

Maddy23

Moving in
Real Name
Maddy
My 2 directly related (male and female sibling) rainbow lorikeets have laid 2 eggs in their nesting box. They're only 1 1/2 years old, so I thought they were still too young to produce eggs. 2 years is usually sexual maturity for rainbow lorries. What should I do?

The eggs are probably over a week old now, so I'm unsure if I should remove them. I'd feel terrible about killing off half formed young, but I don't have the space or time to commit to more lorikeets.

Should I let them hatch, or do the awful thing and boil 2 babies and replace them in the nesting box so the hen can sit on them until she realises they won't hatch and gives up.

I'm in an ethical conundrum. Advice please if anyone has experience with this :( :(

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Have you candled the eggs?

Maddy23

Moving in
Real Name
Maddy
Thank you expressmailtome, I didn't even think of that! I will do that asap and see how far along they are. My other concern is obviously inbreeding of young from 2 directly related parents, so I'm hopeful that the eggs are either infertile as they're still quite young, or very early in development so I won't feel horrible removing them. Thanks again.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When you candle them, you should get a good reading on signs of life (ie there is, or is not). Fertile will glow dark orange red and have veins. Non fertile will be yellow no veins.

I don't have the space or time to commit to more lorikeets.
have laid 2 eggs in their nesting box.
Once you are done with these eggs, whatever the outcome may be, it is a good idea to remove the nesting box to reduce their urge to breed. Be sure to check the cage regularly to spot any eggs that will come in the future so that you can remove and boil within the first day or so and not be in the same situation as now :)

Maddy23

Moving in
Real Name
Maddy
Thanks Zara and will do in regards to removing the nesting box. They won't like it though as they sleep in it every night. I only added it for extra warmth in winter but they really loved it. I will keep a look out for future eggs as well so can remove them from the aviary before this happens again. Fingers crossed the eggs are at the barely fertile stage.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They won't like it though as they sleep in it every night.
Yes, I know the guilty feeling of removing our birds beloved bed. I had to take my lovebird sibling pairs box away a while back and I felt bad. They were quick to adjust and sleep on a perch or the climbing frame though :)

Welcome to the Avenue Maddy :fairy2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nesting boxes are not made for birds to sleep in. The birds would be in a constant state of hormone stimulation. I agree is in the best interest of your birds to remove the nest box. They will find another comfy spot for sleeping.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hmm I have a different opinion on nest boxes. My caiques are a species which will sleep in a hollowed out tree trunk all year round whether they are breeding or not.
They dont think of it as a breeding box
They think of it as a secure place to sleep