• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rainbow lorikeet bird diaper

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
So I got a rainbow lorikeet around 3 days ago. He is incredibly tame and the moment he got him he was crawling all over me, he was rescued from the wolf after he had fallen out of a tree and was being attacked by magpies and is one of the friendliest birds I’ve ever seen. He’s still a baby but is fully feathered and eating perfectly fine on his own, he’s just starting to try to learn to fly, but I was thinking about clipping his wings first because he’s incredibly clumsy and whenever he tries to fly he slams into windows or the ground. I’m also going to take him to get his nails clipped as his nails are so long they’ve completely cut my arm and neck open. Anyway I was just wondering about bird diapers, he poops ALOT and its wet and messy and has decided he wants to poop either on me or my pillows. I was just unsure about where I should buy one and what size it should be?

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’ll be honest and let you know that I really dislike bird diapers and I wish much like with happy huts that the greedy money makers with no conscience would stop selling them- they are not hygienic for the bird and basically are unfair and gross. They do not benefit the bird in any way.

Have you considered contacting a wildlife rehabber? The best place for this bird is where it came from.

If you choose to keep it (check local laws regarding keeping a native animal acquired from the wild) then please don’t ever consider clipping its wings. Flying keeps birds healthy, confident and happy, most importantly is the healthy part- wings are not just for the bird to get about they get the proper exercise they need only when flying.
Most baby birds crash a bit while learning- cut their feathers and they never learn how to do it as well as they should- it can also cause behaviour issues.

Can I ask what you’re feeding this baby?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Babies need time to learn! Look at human babies. Should we tie them to a chair because they fall while learning to walk? Of course not! We make the environment safer for them.

Birds poop a lot and lorikeets because of their liquid diets poop a lot of liquid. You would need to change the diaper realistically once an hour at least to prevent a bacterial infection in the cloaca.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Hi
I’ll be honest and let you know that I really dislike bird diapers and I wish much like with happy huts that the greedy money makers with no conscience would stop selling them- they are not hygienic for the bird and basically are unfair and gross. They do not benefit the bird in any way.

Have you considered contacting a wildlife rehabber? The best place for this bird is where it came from.

If you choose to keep it (check local laws regarding keeping a native animal acquired from the wild) then please don’t ever consider clipping its wings. Flying keeps birds healthy, confident and happy, most importantly is the healthy part- wings are not just for the bird to get about they get the proper exercise they need only when flying.
Most baby birds crash a bit while learning- cut their feathers and they never learn how to do it as well as they should- it can also cause behaviour issues.

Can I ask what you’re feeding this baby?
Hi, the baby was given to me by someone who had found him and raised him from a baby, I believe the bird would be a couple months old at least, the bird eats normal lorikeet mix, along with bottlebrush plants and fruits and veggies, and he’s in a smaller cage only at night to stop him from accidentally falling and hurting himself just in case, during the day he’s either running on me or somebody else, or on top of his cage eating and playing with the other birds. At this point he’s basically just a captive raised lorikeet. And as for the clipping thing I’m not sure if he’s trying to learn to fly or he’s had some sort of wing injury and can’t do it properly, though I believe it’s because of an injury because he shows no signs of actually wanting to fly, he loves hopping around and climbing. Sometimes he flies when he falls because he’s clumsy but always ends up hitting a window and making it worse.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry, I mistakingly thought the bird was much younger. Would certainly be best to stay where it is now with you.
Sounds like a vet check could be a good thing to have done to make sure there’s no pain or physical reason your bird is not attempting to fly.
Regarding poor flight skills- without the practice it can’t get better at flying. Some people have had to help encourage their birds to learn that they can fly if they’re not flying and there’s no physical reason stoping them. That could be something to look into when you’re sure there is no wing injury or anything actually stopping your bird.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
Hi,
Sorry, I mistakingly thought the bird was much younger. Would certainly be best to stay where it is now with you.
Sounds like a vet check could be a good thing to have done to make sure there’s no pain or physical reason your bird is not attempting to fly.
Regarding poor flight skills- without the practice it can’t get better at flying. Some people have had to help encourage their birds to learn that they can fly if they’re not flying and there’s no physical reason stoping them. That could be something to look into when you’re sure there is no wing injury or anything actually stopping your bird.
Hi, just thought I’d give you an update since you helped out. She’s doing quite well but has just never learnt to fly, she sometimes jumps off of her cage but isn’t able to actually fly just glide a little, though she makes up for the lack of exercise by hanging upside down on all of her toys and attacking them, and climbing the curtains in my room all day.

I’m actually about to make a post about whether she could have paired up with my budgie, as they refuse to be separated without screeching for each other, so I’ve had to put them in the same cage. They’ve gotten along perfectly for a few months now, and he’s the only one she’ll share her food with. And he clearly is attracted to more then just other budgies as he mated with one of my female cockatiels (in the water bowl, ew). I wouldn’t be worried about this but I’m thinking of getting another lorikeet, possibly a male, and eventually letting them breed once she’s a bit older. Any clue if this could happen?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Please be careful about them eating the same food. While budgies should have at least some seed in their diet, seeds can be dangerous to a lorikeets health.

Birdman696

Meeting neighbors
I think you read that w
Please be careful about them eating the same food. While budgies should have at least some seed in their diet, seeds can be dangerous to a lorikeets health.
I think you read that wrong, he eats her food.