• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rainbow is plucking ToT

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Noticed about 2 days ago that Rainbow has a bare patch under her neck. I'd always seen her tilt her head down to groom herself when I came close to the cage, but she never had any balding patches until now.

= No change to diet for past few months, a mixture of roudybush, zupreem FB and higgins pellets, with seed blend from Higgins (Mayan Harvest - Conure sized)
= No change to day-night cycles for past few months
= No change to excretion
= No noticeable changes in my other 2 budgies and 2 lovebirds who are caged beside hers

She is a no-touch bird because she hates me. I recently see her a lot more due to the stay-at-home thing going on, so I suppose I do 'croon' at her more often than usual.

Estimated age almost 2 years [ gotcha July 2018 ]. She's female, sometimes persistent egg-layer and I'm constantly battling against reducing her hormonal cycles. I had managed to stop her egg-laying for a few weeks but today she laid an egg.

She has been playing with a bell-toy quite a bit of late. I've removed it in case of any metal ingestion.

I did use F10 diluted to spray the cages last week. Wondering if that might have triggered anything?

I've decided to take her upstairs into my own room at night in case my dad is staying up too late at night. I notice he's not waking up as early as before the stay-at-home thingy.

Rainbow did okay in my room last night. A few chirps now and then in dim light while I played soft classical music around 9pm, some beak grinding and then she was quiet through the whole night until 8am.

Due to the covid-19 thing going on, I can't bring her to a vet because its considered non-emergency. The 'lockdown' is until 1 June, but no guarantee on the date because they extended it once already.

Gazimon

Still picking at her feathers today, especially when I go look at her. ToT

She got some sunlight coz I placed the cages outside, but slightly covered, today

Gazimon

Lookit all these pinnies! I am so relieved. The lower part that was bare skin still doesnt have a lot but at least they're growing in, I hope.

She's still trying to nest in the corner. Is it "normal" to pull out feathers in anticipation/ irritation of an oncoming hard molt???

Attachments

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Zara might have some answers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is it "normal" to pull out feathers in anticipation/ irritation of an oncoming hard molt???
No, not like those pictures you posted. That seems more a stress or anxiety related issue. Maybe more realting to the egg, the bell and the hormones.
I´m glad the feathers are growing in. Make sure you up the foraging activities available to keep her busy so she doesn´t overpreen the new pin feathers.

Gazimon

arrrggghhh.

She laid 2 eggs recently and started plucking again.