• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Raijū’s feathers are stained a little above his cere

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
A06BD1DF-34BF-4225-B578-5CD1FF4C04AC.jpeg
I know this is a sign of respiratory infection, but I haven’t noticed him sneezing anymore than normal nor does he seem to have any trouble breathing

I noticed it last night. Yesterday my bunny had to stay in the room with them in her kennel, which is lined with aspen wood as she’s not normally in there for long, but she kicked up a lot of dust which bothered the birds a bit. Could the staining just be from that?

We are going to the vet today, but the vet puts birds on antibiotics if they just show symptoms of respiratory issues whether he can hear/see it in their lungs or not, and I don’t want Raijū to be put on antibiotics right after two weeks of antifungal if he doesn’t need to be. I think that’d be super hard on his crop. Just looking to see what others think

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Okay so it's stopped fading, it looks like pink right above his nose still. Are his feathers just stained from it and we'll have to wait until he bathes or until his feathers fall out? Or should I get him treated? It's not getting worse, the coloring just isn't leaving completely. I've only heard him sneeze once or twice since his vet visit

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
You could give your vet a call and ask just to be sure. Tell them there is still discoloration that your worried about and see what they have to say.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
You could give your vet a call and ask just to be sure. Tell them there is still discoloration that your worried about and see what they have to say.
They aren't open until Monday unfortunately but I will email them in the meantime!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Monitor it. The discoloration alone does not really mean much now unless there are some more health symptoms.
Would have been good if they had done a test for the yeast level to be sure the medication cleared it.
Best to not stress yourself or them anymore than necessary now.

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Monitor it. The discoloration alone does not really mean much now unless there are some more health symptoms.
Would have been good if they had done a test for the yeast level to be sure the medication cleared it.
Best to not stress yourself or them anymore than necessary now.
I’m taking them in sometime this week to get them checked for sure

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
And whilst they wait for their check-up let them know how cute they are!!! Adorable little mugs :loveshower: :bliss:

I hope everything goes well at the vet.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the photo it looks me a bit more thinned out than stained? Although I know that Raiju has a yeast infection, is that right? The area above my boys' ceres will look like that when they are molting. I used to think it was discharge staining. Are Raiju and Phoenix molting?

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
In the photo it looks me a bit more thinned out than stained? Although I know that Raiju has a yeast infection, is that right? The area above my boys' ceres will look like that when they are molting. I used to think it was discharge staining. Are Raiju and Phoenix molting?
Raijū is molting lots right now. It took a ton of staring but I’m pretty sure it’s stained. It’s so small it’s hard to tell though

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
The vet recommended giving him a mist bath to see if it comes off and if it comes back to take him in right away. It faded almost completely, there is just small spots right where his nose meets his feathers(it looks like the water couldn't reach there without getting right into his nostrils) But my camera can't even pick it up anymore it is so small
The vet wants to avoid giving antibiotics as much as I do since they were both just on antifungal which is really harsh on their crop, but he says he'll check their lungs when they go in for the swab :heart:

He also profusely apologized over what happened with the other avian vet (he is the owner of the clinic) he said it wasn't her first time giving improper care :scared3: