• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quinoa?

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Quinoa does it need to be cooked or is it ok to sprinkle on top of chop uncooked??

Also approx how much how often would you recommend giving quinoa?

thanks!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've always cooked it. Wash and rinse it thoroughly before cooking.
The only birds that eat it are my BFA (sometimes) and my BE2 so have
no idea how much you should give Louie but I wouldn't give a lot.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Uh oh. I give it uncooked sprinkled on chop. Thoughts?

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I cook it for my family, and of course the birds get a serving too.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Uncooked is fine. I buy the pre-rinsed kind and add it to my chop before I freeze it. It helps soak up some of the moisture.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I cook it, but just because I usually am cooking for people and bird at the same time. A lot of quinoa in the US that is packaged (vs like in a bulk bin) is pre-rinsed. It will taste bitter if it isn't, and a lot of the bittering agent on it might cause a stomach ache if fed in large quantities. However its likely pretty harmless raw.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I cook it, but just because I usually am cooking for people and bird at the same time. A lot of quinoa in the US that is packaged (vs like in a bulk bin) is pre-rinsed. It will taste bitter if it isn't, and a lot of the bittering agent on it might cause a stomach ache if fed in large quantities. However its likely pretty harmless raw.
How do you prepare yours? Does your son eat it?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Yes that is my question too! For both @Sparkles! and @Mizzely: how old are these quinoa eating wonder children? Mine will pull a carrot or spinach from the garden and eat it but I’d have to put gummy bears in the quinoa for them to eat that. They’re four. They go from wanting unicorn cake pops to pâté lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My 6 year old doesnt eat anything right now that doesn't go good with ketchup :lol:

My 18 month old eats everything for now, but really likes quinoa.

My hubby doesn't really care for it so I usually buy it pre-mixed with brown rice and follow the directions on the package.

But basics are 1 cup quinoa to 1.75 cups quinoa for the stovetop. Let the water boil first, add in the quinoa, and cook covered for 20 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the quinoa gets little tails. I usually cook it in a chicken broth if it's just for us humans; if I make it for all of us I just cook it plain or in unsalted vegetable broth. If it's just for Ripley I add a jar of sweet potato or carrot baby food to it :)

We use it in place of anything that we would use rice - so a lot of asian inspired recipes (stir fry, mongolian beef, etc).

In the Instant Pot, 1 cup water to 1 cup quinoa, Cook for Zero minutes, and then let sit for 12 minutes before releasing pressure.

ChirpysMom

Meeting neighbors
I get the tricolor quinoa for my family and my birds’ chop. I think they like the other colors because they look like seeds.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the Instant Pot, 1 cup water to 1 cup quinoa, Cook for Zero minutes, and then let sit for 12 minutes before releasing pressure.
Another question. How I cook for zero minutes? Seal the pot and when it comes to pressure unplug it?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Another question. How I cook for zero minutes? Seal the pot and when it comes to pressure unplug it?
You don't have to unplug it at all. I hit the Manual button and set it to zero. When it comes to pressure it will move to Keep Warm automatically (as long as you have that turned on, it is by default), and it will start counting up. I set a timer for 12 minutes and release the pressure knob (there should be little to no pressure left).

DinoStormy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emma
I cook tricolour quinoa and put it on top of their chop, I cook it in the microwave, 7 minutes full speed and let sit!

LovieLouie

Sprinting down the street
Awesome!! Thanks so much for all the responses this was all very helpful!! I’m going to try cooking it and feeding it to the kid as well she likes nothing but it’s worth a try ;) glad to hear I can just sprinkle it on the chop too though always good to know I have options :smuggrin: