• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quinn the biter

pelmenyi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia
Budgies are cute and tiny with big personalities. And then theres Quinn, my tamed budgie. I decided to purchase him at a store when I was out buying some supplies because he seemed to be the most dominant one and was bullying every other bird so I thought why the hell not? I brought him home and was quiet for almost two weeks or so until I tamed him and taught him how to step up. His personality finally came out. Here's where it all turns around. He bites everyone and I mean, everyone! I have been nothing but gentle with him but he just doesn't seem to understand that I'm one of the good guys. Is there any possible way of making him stop? The bites don't hurt but its not a positive behavior and can't seem to prevent it from happening. Thanks :)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
He bites because hes actually a she and hens tend to bite harder then males
Same with ekkies! Lucy will take chunks of flesh every time (I have the scars to prove this) but Sergei has not so much as nipped anyone. Lucy is definitely the dominant member of the flock and they all give her plenty of space!

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Even though she can bite quite hard, she'll still tame down more. I imagine she just needs more time to feel more trusting of you. Go slowly, don't stress her or push her too much. If she's biting you, she's telling you it's too much, too soon. Also, try having some other things to offer her to nibble on when she's feeling beaky - a tiny toy that she likes, some millet, etc.

pelmenyi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia
I haven't thought of her being female. I always assumed that well she's a he. That explains some things.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He bites everyone and I mean, everyone!
When? What is happening when she is biting?

It could be something like a finger coming to pet her or request she steps up and she doesn´t want to. Most of the time birds bite for a reason.
Observe her and you may find your answer.

My lovebird hen Aldora will take a chunk of flesh with ease. There´s always a reason.. fingers too close to her cage, someone getting in her personal space, a toe moving, sometimes just me moving the (computer) mouse will make her want to pounce. I know what makes her bite and I avoid doing those things. I haven´t been bitten in over a year.. and she hasn´t really changed. She still dislikes those things as much as she did back then.
I was the one who had to change.

pelmenyi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia
When? What is happening when she is biting?

It could be something like a finger coming to pet her or request she steps up and she doesn´t want to. Most of the time birds bite for a reason.
Observe her and you may find your answer.

My lovebird hen Aldora will take a chunk of flesh with ease. There´s always a reason.. fingers too close to her cage, someone getting in her personal space, a toe moving, sometimes just me moving the (computer) mouse will make her want to pounce. I know what makes her bite and I avoid doing those things. I haven´t been bitten in over a year.. and she hasn´t really changed. She still dislikes those things as much as she did back then.
I was the one who had to change.
I hadn't thought of that. I'll watch out for specific things that make her tick and will avoid doing them in the future.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have noticed that she only bites when my finger comes close to her face.
If she hasn´t been with you long, she may just need time to feel more comfortable with you.
There´s always the possibility that she doesn´t like being touched.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
My favorite parakeet ever was a female. She didn't like being touched, but she was VERY affectionate! And she occasionally had a temper if I did something she found unacceptable (which wasn't very often).

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
I feel you man. I agree that birds don’t bite for no reason. They’ll show signs before they do it, it’s usually us missing those signs that causes the bite.

Just yesterday, my Lychee got me pretty good! Sliced the cuticle so it still hurts, haha. But just minutes afterwards he was totally calm and accepting scritches on the neck.

I find that he goes for the kill a lot less than he used to (when I first adopted him, just having my hands round cleaning the cage etc was enough to stress him out/have him hissing). He’s getting more used to me, but I’m also finding ways to make sure I don’t surprise him etc- figuring out his boundaries to prevent bites.
07D590F8-C83B-45B1-AF8B-E31030C6E6CD.jpeg

pelmenyi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia
I feel you man. I agree that birds don’t bite for no reason. They’ll show signs before they do it, it’s usually us missing those signs that causes the bite.

Just yesterday, my Lychee got me pretty good! Sliced the cuticle so it still hurts, haha. But just minutes afterwards he was totally calm and accepting scritches on the neck.

I find that he goes for the kill a lot less than he used to (when I first adopted him, just having my hands round cleaning the cage etc was enough to stress him out/have him hissing). He’s getting more used to me, but I’m also finding ways to make sure I don’t surprise him etc- figuring out his boundaries to prevent bites.
View attachment 297855
Ouch! Looks like that one hurt. Quinns bites don't hurt but he stop biting hard after she figured out that it doesn't bother me and she's just putting in all the work for nothing. I got her out of the cage and actually pet her beak without her making even the slightest movement to bite. I can say theres some progress. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
And then there are exceptions. My male Murphy will bite without any sign or warning its coming. He does not like to be touched or held and he was a hand fed baby. My female Mickey is a sweet as they come. She has never bitten any human and loves to get scritches.

Here is a good read on biting birds.

How To Stop Bird Biting | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
It's great that when she bites it does not hurt! I would have a hard time distinguishing this type of mild beaking as them trying to preen us maybe.
As others here have said - just go slowly with her, and allow her to make the first moves toward socialization. She is such a pretty birdie!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Oh - and @pelmenyi - Julia, if this is your first bird, just make sure Quinn has fresh seed each day, the dish can look full, but it's only hulls!
(And fresh water too of course)