• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

quick sprouts question about when they are good to eat

plum778

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey all,

I've given sprouts to my bird before and she loves them, the batch im currently making (lentils, mung beans, and adzuki beans) was a little faster to grow than the others I've made so some of the mung bean sprouts have little leaves, is that still okay to give to her? Like are the leaves safe to eat, and is there a point where sprouts are like too developed to give to your bird? She's a lovebird btw.

TIA

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It’s fine for them to eat the leaves end tails, but how long did it take to get to that point? Sprouts usually take about two days to sprout, and then they should be fed within three days after that.

plum778

Checking out the neighborhood
3-4 days? i get that if i stopped growing them at 2 days then yes i would have to feed in the next few days, but since ive still been growing them can i feed them in the next few days starting from now?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Since they really don’t stop growing, I think they should be fed within 5-7 days from when you first started the sprouting process, after the initial soak. It all depends on your climate, but if you feed them after that you run the high risk of them harboring mold. Are you keeping them in the fridge after the first couple days of growing?

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Hey all,

I've given sprouts to my bird before and she loves them, the batch im currently making (lentils, mung beans, and adzuki beans) was a little faster to grow than the others I've made so some of the mung bean sprouts have little leaves, is that still okay to give to her? Like are the leaves safe to eat, and is there a point where sprouts are like too developed to give to your bird? She's a lovebird btw.

TIA
It depends how old they are. I usually soak for about 12 hours and then start rinsing twice a day. They're most nutrient dense once they get their little tails. One of my birds likes them before they get too long and plant-like, so I usually pack them up around day 3 and put them in the fridge for a few days. I make enough to last 5-6 days.