• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quick Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I was wondering If Normal Green Cheek Conures have teal blue on their head??

I haven't found a picture of one yet - But i know most pictures don't show the true colors and some are crappy angles, so its hard to tell

but I was wondering if a TRUE (not mixed with any other type of Green Cheek) Green Cheek had Teal Blue going through their head

and while I'm asking - I know with Andy his Entire tail is maroon - from where it comes out of his back side ALL the way to the end, BUT Chloe's starts out Green and goes in to Maroon (she has maybe 1/2 inch to a inch of green before it goes to maroon

Their babies is like hers only with some light Brown going through it I tried getting pics But the brown doesn't show up in the babies tail in the pics

So with Normal Green Cheeks (again no mixes of other Green Cheeks) what's their tail look like?

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
When you say no mixes of other greens i assume you mean mutations?

I have said before that i thought your Chloe was a green cheek/maroon belled hybrid, and that could explain the tail. Those two species get mixed up alot and bred together from what i understand. They look very similar aside from the green/maroon tails and green/grey heads.

I do beleive that the 'wild' coloured green cheeks have the blue. Some mutations do as well, if not all of them. I know my yellow sided green cheek does.

and there is no 'other' green cheeks - they're all green cheeks - the same species of bird..

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Kelli, I haven't seen a GCC with any green on the tail, but I did raise a GCC/MBC hybrid a couple years ago whose tail was similar to what you described. I'm pretty sure if it's a "pure" GC, their tail should be totally maroon, no green.

I have seen some photos of GCCs with teal on their heads, none in person though.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Sometimes it is hard to see the teal, you can see it best in certain lights :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Here is a picture of Cupid I took last night - I tried not to use the flash but Between being gloomy , almost dark and my lights stink I had to - he's not this BRIGHT green LOL But you can see the green where the tail starts then it goes to maroon , You can't see the brown/tan tinge to the tail its where the maroon starts

you can see a little bit of the Blue tinge in his head - I'll try to get better pics of that if he'll let me - he doesn't like to sit still he wants to play, play play Took me about 15 tries just to get this shot - i got a lot of nice blur/ double bird shots though LOL

I found this second picture It shows the head a little better

All I know is ever since I got Andy and his 1st mate who came with him *Annie * that neither one resembled the normal "pure" (or what ever you want to call it ) Green Cheek - they had similar aspects to the normal Green Cheek but they also have(and had) other aspects that were a lot like other mutations /maybe even species (I'm knew to conures) then when I got Chloe I noticed she didn't resemble Andy Nor Annie , and she didn't look like a normal green cheek either -

I'll have to dig out the pictures from when I first got her, and better ones of Andy - right now they won't let me take pics they're sitting on eggs

Attachments

birdman78

Real Name
John
My Kiwi doesn't have blue on his head. But he is not clipped and does have blue on his wings. I noticed your guy doesn't have blue on his wings. Is he clipped?

carkam

Avenue Veteran
mine is a cinnamon GC, He also has blue only on his wings.

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Cupid looks like she may be mixed and not just a normal GC.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Thank you - yes he is and he knows it already LOL

When he was born I was told he was a yellow sided because he was born with pure white Down - i was like Ok - that's paritally what his parents(at least his dad) resembles - Then he feathered out and i was like UH where's the yellow that makes them "yellow sided"? since he never got those, that shot that theory out the window lol

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
The blue on the back of the neck doesn't mean a conure is a mutation - john, Kiwi probably has it - like I said its sometimes really hard to see. And all green cheeks no matter the mutation have blue flights I am fairly sure..

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just wondering about that yesterday. Leo has some blue on the back of her neck and some green on the start of her tail feathers. Sorry for the bad pic,Its from a camera phone and she wouldnt stay still.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.