• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quick question for future

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
What makes a better pet parrot personality wise a galah cockatoo or amazon parrot. In my opinion I prefer the colouration and look of the cockatoo but anyone whose has owned these birds which one has a better personality.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I think you will open up quite a discussion with that question! ;)

The operative word here is "better"...what do you think constitutes a better personality...because you are the one that will bring your personality to a relationship with the bird...and I think it's easier for us humans to adjust to an animal living in our world than the animal to adjust to living in a human world.

Just my opinion here...;)

Mantis64

The operative word here is "better"...what do you think constitutes a better personality...because you are the one that will bring your personality to a relationship with the bird...and I think it's easier for us humans to adjust to an animal living in our world than the animal to adjust to living in a human world.

By better I mean with bird is more playful enjoys human interaction and is a good pet parrot to own.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

Simply well defined < simple as that ! to the point...:hug6:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
What species are you attracted too , whatever species you choose it's up to you to do your do diligence and research !

My advise to you would be to read through the topics here before making a decision, visit rescues if any are near you to get a one on one experience.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
By better I mean with bird is more playful enjoys human interaction and is a good pet parrot to own.
What species are you attracted too , whatever species you choose it's up to you to do your do diligence and research !

My advise to you would be to read through the topics here before making a decision, visit rescues if any are near you to get a one on one experience.

Mantis64

I live in the uk I dont know if there are any bird rescues here

Mantis64

Also I currently own an Indian ringneck and I believe that he can affect the health of the Amazon because he is old world and the amazon Is new world I would just have to keep them separated. This is my problem I cant chose I find both these species beautiful and love everything about both of them.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Also I currently own an Indian ringneck and I believe that he can affect the health of the Amazon because he is old world and the amazon Is new world I would just have to keep them separated. This is my problem I cant chose I find both these species beautiful and love everything about both of them.
Are Indian Ringneck Parakeets Dusty?

on August 19, 2019 in Bird Facts

How Much Dust do Indian Ringnecks Produce Compared to Other Pet Birds?
Like all birds, Indian Ringneck Parakeets produce some amount of wing dust and dander that is mildly noticeable.
The dander produced by these birds consists of dried skin, feathers, and keratin along with dust particles from the air.
However, they are known to be a lot less dusty than other bird species.
Cockatoos and African Greys, for instance, are referred to as the powder down birds that produce a huge amount of dust.
The dust produced by these birds is quite fine in texture – which could eventually lead to severe allergies. Generally, birds that come from the drier climates are known to be extremely dusty.
In fact, a prominent layer of dust can be seen on their feathers and around the cage.
On the other hand, the dust produced by Indian Ringneck Parakeets is a lot less in quantity and not as visible.
Therefore, Indian Ringneck Parakeets are okay for individuals with mild allergies – you just need to take appropriate care of their hygiene.
Problems Associated With Bird Dust and Dander
Not only are dander and dust a pain to clean up, but they also result in the production of airborne particles that can cause severe health problems, such as:
Bird Fancier’s Lung
This is a rare disease that affects a person when they inhale dust produced by dry feces.
Within a 6-hour period, the person starts experiencing symptoms such as chills, fever, dry cough, and chest pain.
If the symptoms are severe, then the person needs to be rushed to the ER immediately.
People suffering from this disease have to let go of their beloved bird, as it becomes nearly impossible to live in the same surroundings as the bird.
Allergy and Asthma Triggers
People who suffer from airborne allergies are usually extra sensitive to a variety of dust particles.
Even normal household irritants like dust and pet fur can trigger their allergies and cause mild asthma attacks.
Now imagine more particles added to the air in the form of bird dust.
Not only will it trigger their allergies, but they are also more likely to cause severe asthma attacks.
In some cases, when the allergic reactions and asthma attacks become severe, bird owners may have to make a hard choice of letting their feathered friend go.
Clogged Air Passages
The risks associated with bird dust and dander are not limited to humans only – they can harm the bird itself, too.
Birds are tiny creatures, thus it is understandable that their air passages are tiny as well, which is both a blessing and a curse for them.
Even though their respiratory system is incredibly efficient, when birds inhale air polluted with household irritants and their own dust, there is a high chance that their air passages get clogged.
This can lead to infections and diseases, some of which can also decrease their lifespan considerably.
Indian ringneck dust problems

5 Tips to Reduce Bird Dust and Dander
As bird dust and dander can cause severe health problems, some people are reluctant to keep birds while some have to make a choice between prioritizing their health or keeping a bird.
However, there are certain steps that can be taken to control bird dust and dander.
1. Using an Air Purifier
The most important way to avoid all health problems caused by bird dust and dander is taking the particles out of the air.
This can be done through an air purifier, which filters the air by removing the dust particles.
There are many different types of filters available, with the best one being the High-efficiency Particulate Arresting (HEPA) filtration.
This incredible filtration efficiently removes particles even as small as .3 microns with 99.97% success rate. This means that out of every 1000 particles, 9997 are removed.
Since it is an all-encompassing filter, it helps you get rid of the household dust and mites too, along with bird dust and dander.
These filters come in a variety of models, so you can choose between different floor models and even get them installed into your home air system.
2. Cleaning Regularly
A regular cleaning schedule is imperative, as it will help you get rid of the particles to a large extent.
The room will become more pleasant and bearable for those who are sensitive to dust and dander.
It is recommended that you clean the room where the bird is kept on alternate days to stop the dust and dander from accumulating.
If the bird is in a cage, clean the cage thoroughly at least twice a week, along with some quick cleaning everyday.

3. Make Cleaning Easier
Carefully choose the furnishings in the bird’s room as this can make your cleaning task much easier.
Do not go for carpets or curtains, as the particles get stuck in them, which makes cleaning a lot harder.

4. Choose Your Bird Carefully
This is for prospective bird owners who don’t have any breed preferences.
Before getting a bird, do your research. If you do not want to clean every day and invest in an air purifier, then go for the bird that produces the least amount of dust and dander.
If you already have a bird or have fallen in love with a particular bird or breed, then this tip won’t be of help to you.
5. Keep a Limited Number of Birds
If you’re a bird lover, then this can be difficult for you. However, you must remember that the more the number of birds, the more dust and dander there will be.
Moreover, some birds are happier when they are with other birds, while some are not.
These unhappy birds get stressed out and start losing their feathers, which will contribute more to the problem.
Therefore, it is best if you keep a limited number of birds in your home.
Removing bird dust and dander will not only make you healthier but your bird as well.
Follow these tips to achieve a clean, pure and healthy atmosphere for your feathered friend and yourself!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think both Amazons and Cockatoos can be challenging in their own way. My Amazon experience is limited to the rescue I help with. I have a cockatoo. Have you read the Good, the Bad and the Ugly sections on here about both types of birds? It's at the top of the sections for the specific species. That can give you some idea about each type.

Mantis64

I think both Amazons and Cockatoos can be challenging in their own way. My Amazon experience is limited to the rescue I help with. I have a cockatoo. Have you read the Good, the Bad and the Ugly sections on here about both types of birds? It's at the top of the sections for the specific species. That can give you some idea about each type.
Would I be able to keep an Indian ringneck and amazon in the same room or not my Indian ringneck isn't a powder down bird but is old world.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I have both a cockatoo and Amazon (they live on different floors of the house and don't interact)
They are very different personalities, it depends on what you are looking for.
Cockatoos are much dustier than ringnecks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Would I be able to keep an Indian ringneck and amazon in the same room or not my Indian ringneck isn't a powder down bird but is old world.
I don't consider IRNs dusty. So I would be ok with it. An air purifier is always a good idea. Others may say differently.

Mantis64

I have both a cockatoo and Amazon (they live on different floors of the house and don't interact)
They are very different personalities, it depends on what you are looking for.
Cockatoos are much dustier than ringnecks.
I would like a parrot that will love me and want to spend time with me but I also want a bird that will be independent and be able to play and entertain themselves and not get stressed if I'm not there. I would also like a bird that is friendly with most of the family and be able to play around the house. A bird that I can keep happily and will enjoy being in and out of his cage, a bird that isn't massively aggressive or territorial over his cage or toys.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
It all depends.Amazons get hormonal,so do Toos'.I know of one of the sweetest Too's in the world until her hormones kick in.If not for her sweet nature I bet she could have done more than simple flight attcks and only drawing blood once.I also know of Toos who despite not even hormal,bites and lunges and wants nothing to do with you.
I know of Amazons who will pick one of the others and while ignoring some,choose to get bloody murder on other people.Tht exact Amazon is also a sweetheart to me as I am his chosen one and hardly ever drew blood (and by that I mean a speck,literally a speck of blood with some broken skin.He is a crusher,not a skinner) to me.
And talking about crushers and skinners.Crushes are those who choose to apply pressure when they bite nd do their signature bite-cruch-twist three part move.The usually give bruises or soreness but not blood (obviously they can make you bleed and it isn't that rare either but when we talk about that we mean soreness+blood across a lot of your skin.
Skinners skin you.They are like knives,easily ripping through your flesh.They bite and let go and you've got this deep puncture wound where they've hit.They puncture instead of cruch.
All birds are affectionate and the affection that they lavish on you is something you will not get from pets.Why don't I say other pets?Because they will throw whatever hamster/cat/dog/rabbit's affection meter by a whole street.Given that they are respected,loved and well cared for.Many con't get to cross the deviding line between 'crazy parrot' and wonderful friend as they don't have the means to make them blossom.
Both species are independent,it is just that cockatoos are more know for their 'cuddliness',which again is something not in their nature,but their nurture.In fact I would suggest you get a smaller bird instead though I do believe that you would like a bigger one considering your species of choice.Also considering your IRN,beak sizes are a massive danger to your smaller one too (if you get one,that is).Though both sizes require the same demand of love and respect,you will waste less food/have less noise in general/have them even when in aggression able to usually inflict less pain on you/less time to clean/less expensive toys/etc.
But aggression doesn't change,and danger is up by one level as an opening door of something else can easily crush them if you don't notice them in time.
All and all,the best is to find a bird in need and spend time with them,no matter the species.Every bird is different but all are wonderful when given the time and patience.