• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quick, probably stupid question about an Electric fan and my birds.

Munekun

Moving in
Firstly I'll say I have OCD In some really ridiculous ways, It manifests In A lot of stress and worry over making sure I never introduce anything dangerous to My two Lovebirds and I get kind of crazy even when It's not necessary, but I'd prefer to be extra safe.

I currently bought a cheap Electric fan that will be used In the large room my two birds are kept, I thought nothing of It at first but while browsing slightly related topics I saw a post about being extra careful with any electrical devices regarding to teflon/PTFE, and proceeded to list a lot of things I didn't know contained this, example, electric blankets and hairdryers (luckily I don't own any mentioned, but still.)

I, Of course know of the dangers of this but would have never expected someone to mention a few of the Items they did so I thought I'd come on here for peace of mind and ask If Teflon/PTFE has ever been a thing for simple electric fans?

This Is the one I purchased, the 13" mini tower fan.

I tried asking the manufacturers but they said because this specific fan wasn't manufacturered in their home country they can't answer on materials used.

I basically just want to be told I'm being crazy because I don't see any reason to use these on an Electric cooling fan.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Teflon is a health and safety concern for birds when it’s heated.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) you're fine, because it doesn't heat up. Everything that causes issues with PTFE and what not are things that heat up - hair dryers, pans, heaters, etc.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Fans should be fine, it's the heaters that you need to watch out for. I think teflon can be released at high temperatures, some sites may vary but I think it's 450-500°F, 232°C

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They have some enclosed ceiling fans you can buy at like Home depot and Amazon that should be safe all around as well. We don't run the one in the dining room area because somebirdy might fly into in but might replace it with the enclosed type when they're on a good sale again.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The fan would have to reach 500° or more to release fumes if it contained teflon.