• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quick Guinea pig help

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
im keeping the my kids class piggies for spring break. There cage was gross so I took it apart to clean it. The pee was caked on each corner so bad and dried and gross. I sprayed it with a bleach cleaner hoping to soften it and spray it clean but it didn’t all come off. Now I’m worried about the bleach I sprayed in it. Can I still put the liner in and put them back in their cage. or will the bleach I used hurt them? I have scrubbed and hoses it down really well but some of the caked on urine remains and it has absorbed the bleach into it but still didnt come off.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
try some vinegar cleaning solution and keep it there for a few mins. WOrked every time with my guinea pig (before my 2 and 3 yo sisters sprayed sunscreen on him while I was in school.:sad11::sad6:)

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Well I had already used the bleach cleaner thinking it would all come off fine. Now I’m just a bit stressed that the remaining fumes will harm them? I scrubbed it and sprayed off as much as I could. Still had a faint bleach odor

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
If there is a bleach odor I would wait. I don’t know much about guinea pigs but I wouldn’t risk it. I agree that vinegar can break down almost anything haha!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...as long as you have rinsed the liner well there really shouldn't be a problem. Keep the liner out to air a little while longer, though.

Is it pee residue...or is it staining...it looks like a little of both you've got there. Maybe a stiff brush could remove the residue...the staining will probably stay on the plastic. :(
try some vinegar cleaning solution and keep it there for a few mins.
...a good alternative cleaner...:yes3:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Thanks guys. I wish I had thought of the vinegar before hand :bash: but this piggie urine was so caked on a dried it took a
Screw driver to chisel it away. I did the best I could and they are happy back in their cleaner home tonight. That cage was FILTHY GROSS.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thanks for giving the piggies a clean home again. :thumbsup:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I would do things so much differently if they were our piggies. Don’t they need toys? Time out of their cage? I’m kinda scared of them because they are so jumpy. So I haven’t picked them up but I have pet them.

I also hate using newspaper. Seems like it would be nicer to use the soft critter bedding that we used for our hammy.

Do they need a running wheel?

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
I don't believe people generally give toys to guinea pigs (outside of chew toys), and no, they don't need a running wheel; in fact, it can be deadly.

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I:heart:piggies!
Especially their grunts and “squiggies”....:laugh:

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Yes they make the cutest noises

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I would ditch the newspaper and replace it with some sort of small animal bedding. Guinea pigs love to chew things up, so not sure if the newsprint ink will be problematic to their health down the line.
My daughter has 2 guinea pigs. She uses cedar chips, which helps to keep their cage deodorized as well as it also absorbs their urine.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We use newspaper to line our piggie cages..then put a nice cover of pine "chips" (bedding)

Guineas really don't "do" toys...outside of chew toys, as @BlueDoraBarry posted...I've only seen one guinea ever interact with a bell...that was Maxx...our first piggie. He would run underneath it when he wanted food. :rolleyes:

Our piggies enjoy "pigloos"...they look like plastic bundt cake pans (the best I can describe them) Our pigs like to pull food into them before eating it...they like their privacy, I guess. ;)

My wife spoils our piggies rotten! She overfeeds them...so we've got some very heavy guinea pigs...our vet keeps reminding her that it's not good to have overweight guineas...

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
93709F80-0653-41B0-BCAC-B953324708FA.jpeg

Ofcourse kai has to get a look too. But then he wanted to get way too close and the piggies actually came out to see him. He’s not Allowed in there now because he climbs the cage and they go after him :omg:

And yes I can see how it would be easy to over feed them with treats they love em and make the cutest sounds. We have been giving them carrots and strawberries :D

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
From what I know, they like to chew but other than that don't really do toys. I know many people use fleece as liners for piggie cages, since you can take it and wash it.

I know these aren't your piggies, but I'll mention it while I'm here, some folks make cages from these- Amazon.com: Whitmor Storage Cubes - Stackable Interlocking Wire Shelves - White (Set of 6): Home & Kitchen, I think if I had piggies this is probably what I'd do. You can have a huge cage without spending a ton of money, plus you can add on at any time and customize it to your liking. I just like reading the reviews to see people's piggie setups, lol.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
It is nice of you to clean their cages, just please make sure you get that bleach residue all the way out; guinea pigs are very sensitive animals.

Last edited: