• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shae'sSeveres

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tauni
First of all sorry if im posting this in the wrong place, new to AA but excited to be here!:)Okay so a 3-4 weeks ago my fiancee and i aquired a mated pair of severe macaws, Maka and Malulu (lulu). These poor birds are 10 years old and came from aweful circumstances, the man who owned the birds only weeks before turning them over to the great lady i bought them from, loved them dearly but did not by anymeans take care of them properly, he was unemployed there for fed them nothing but sunflower seeds! They were in something the size of a smaller conure cage which was infested with mold! They are now on a diet of Rowdy Bush fresh fruits and veggies and housed in a very large cage filled with toys :D The female came to me with her tummy feathers and the feathers on her back all plucked out, (the lady said this was due to wanting to mate) but i find that hardly likely where she has been through so much stess. I can handle the male if Lulu will let me but can hardly tough the her, she is very protective and agressive. Wondering if i can get any good tips on the issues - feather plucking, Biting, and also if i should let them breed if/when she is in good enough shape to do so. wondering because my Maka will follow her along the cage and try to mount her, all the while saying "step up" over and over, Lulu answers with "Shut up" over and over (shes quite sassy).

Thanks!​

Last edited:

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Well, there are a lot of things that can lead to plucking - stress, diet allergies, a bad molt...have you read through some of the other threads? I imagine with a cage change, some very patient TLC and a better diet you could do wonders with these babies. Have they been vetted yet?

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm glad that They are with You and that Your trying to do right by them:hug8:I would get them Vetted,work on the diet, give them time to really settle in,and OBSERVE-The male may be the one that is Plucking the Female:(:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.