• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions re: Buying a Baby Bird

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
I’ve been visiting pet shops and bird stores when we encounter them (and I have some observations I’ll post separately). The thing I’m wondering about at the moment is how one goes about buying a baby bird, both in terms of source and price.

A: Breeder or ‘Raiser’
I don’t know the right word for it, but I’m calling ‘raiser’ a person who raises the baby to sell it, but doesn’t have the breeding pair. It seems to me the strength in buying from a breeder is that the person knows the parents and may be able to give a better guess as to the temperament of the chicks. But with all parrots being individuals and having their own personalities, is this important? Anybody have experiences of buying from a breeder, raiser, or both and care to share their experiences?

B: Price
I found mention to birdbreeders.com in the community and have checked them out. Is this the best source for finding babies if you don’t have a local source? Also, how do I know what is a good price? For example, I was looking at a few different types of conures. In one case, most of the birds listed were around $600. But then there was one for $350. Is this a situation where ‘if it’s too good to be true, it probably is’? What could be 'wrong' with this bird?

Alternatively, I’ve seen the opposite: most listed are $2500 and then there is one for $3600. Does this mean the $3600 one comes with extra sweetness and handle-ability or just that the seller has experience asking for a higher price and getting it?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I didn´t know that ¨raiser¨ was a thing. Sounds interesting. That might give you a bird that is more open to being handled as some poor - average breeders don´t interact much with the chicks.
Best option is to find a good breeder, one that spends good time interacting the chicks and raising them with care.

I would make sure that the price of the bird is the norm. Like you say, too good to be true probably is.
The birds that are dearer could either be a breeder trying his luck, or a good experienced breeder who has monitored the babies well, invested time and money into their wellbeing and is serious about looking for a good home for the chicks.

Research the breeder you choose in detail before purchasing.

Good luck :)

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the reply!
I didn´t know that ¨raiser¨ was a thing.
I made this term up based on reading profiles (on birdbreeders.com) that indicated the birds came from a breeding facility elsewhere. Also, the parrot stores I've encountered that had babies did not have breeding pairs. So I figure they are 'raisers'.
I would make sure that the price of the bird is the norm.
How does one determine the norm? And in terms of researching the breeder, does this mean reading their reviews and asking here? Or is there more I can do?

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I have only gotten on bird from a breeder, an adult goffin. She never resales her birds and since someone had brought him back, I basically got him for free.

Downside: He was ignored during his four years with the breeder. She took good care of him and he was in a mile long run but of course with sixty-one other birds she didn't have time to interact with him. He was feral when I got him.

Upside: He hasn't been carried around like a white fluffy puppy so he knows he is a bird. That part helps with our relationship.

Prices: This breeder is not only good but she is reasonable too. Her U2 babies are 1200, her bare eyes are 800.00. I have seen breeders who were twice that amount. You should not have to pay a king's ransom to get a healthy bird.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When the breeder gives the babies to someone else to care for them they are just called the hand feeders. This happens sometimes. Breeders transfer the babies over to someone else to take care of the hand feeding process. You really need to check out any breeders very carefully. Ask the right questions. How many clutches a year, what are they hand fed, how are they weaned, do you practice abundance weaning, etc? Some breeders might have fake positive testimonials so you just need to be extra careful.

If there are any rescues or adoption agencies in your area you could check those out and get an older bird.

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
Thank you for the questions. Potentially stupid question - what are the answers to those questions that I should be looking for? (If this info is posted somewhere on the forum, please feel free to direct me there rather than type it out all.)

We are looking at rescues as well, but since we travel full-time, we don't have 'an area'. As a result, two rescues have already declined to work with us because they have a several week application process and/or want the ability to follow-up. But when we encounter a parrot rescue, we do check them out and see what birds they have.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was not a major breeder but when I was breeding the most clutches I had one year were two. I really did not want the female to lay a lot of eggs and have issues.
For weaning, abundance weaning is the best. Also find out how long the breeder has been in business. I tend to prefer breeders who don't breed a large variety of birds.
Perhaps you can find a rescue that will work with you. If you travel full-time do you mean that you are in a recreational vehicle/live in a mobile type home?

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
@iamwhoiam Thank you for the answers. I've also been drawn to those that don't breed a large variety of birds. I'm still learning, but it makes me feel like they'll likely know more about the birds and their care. Yes, we travel full-time in an RV.