• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions on Teflon Free Items

LucyLemon'sMom

Moving in
Hello! My husband and I are getting our home ready to bring home oir feathered baby ^_^

we are going through and replacing all the Teflon cookware. We purchased this ceramic line of cookware and it says it is PFOA and PTFE free. Although it’s free of those chemicals I’m just really paranoid and want to get a second opinion if these are safe (pictures below 1 and 2).

A few other questions—
- is it okay if I use our air fryer outside? I love it but it has nonstick surface. Would it bother birdie if we just kept it outside on our balcony?
- I have a babyliss hairdryer that I’m obsessed with. I called the company (which I guess is part of conair) and they said it has no Teflon. Does anyone else use babyliss?
- my rice cooker says it’s PFOA and PTFE free but it’s super cheap. Do you think it’s safe to keep using? It’s also ceramic. Pictures 3 and 4
- any good toaster options?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Attachments

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
oh my. I don't have answers but now I have questions.....I hadn't heard toasters were bad, are toasters bad for birds?

Would love to hear more about your feathered baby. What kind? Does he/she have a name? How did you choose your baby? Pictures new birdies are always a welcome bonus!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
PTFE and PFOA are the things that kill when over heated. So things without it should be safe.

LucyLemon'sMom

Moving in
Haha yeah apparently everything is a bird death trap >_< some toasters, especially toaster ovens, have some Teflon coating.

We actually aren’t sure yet which parrot we’re bringing home! We were set on a BG macaw, but realized it’s calls may be too loud for our rabbits. We’re going tomorrow to meet a few lilac amazons and eclectus, so probably one of those.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Beautiful choices. One of them will speak to your heart!

I checked my toaster and cannot see any Teflon, which is good. Toast is one the few things I can cook and not screw up.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The ceramic pans should be fine. I have some of those. You still don't want to put them on anything higher than medium, to not ruin the pan.

I can't vouch for the rice cooker but if it is PFOA and PTFE free it should be safe.

I would ask about PFOA and PTFE, not just Teflon as products can have one of the former without being Teflon. Some items will say PFOA free or PTFE free but they must be both.