• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions on getting another Tiel?

bubblesoup

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Buggles
About a year ago I adopted a male cockatiel and it's been pretty nice. He hasn't always loved actually coming out/playing outside of his cage but recently he's been doing really good with it! I think we've bonded a lot more and I'm considering getting him a buddy?? I think he might benefit from having another friend like him around but I'm nervous about a few things so I thought it'd be best to just ask on here.
He's just about a year old and hasn't met with any other birds since I've adopted him, would he be ok? I think I would slowly introduce them but I'm not too sure about how other tiels have reacted.
On the other hand, I'm nervous that he and the new bird would bond together more and want nothing to do with me. I'm especially nervous about this happening since I love my bird so much.
Anyway, I hope you and your pets are having a great day! <3

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would get another bird only if you want another bird, and have the time and resources to care for one. I’ve had four cockatiels in three cages before because not everyone likes sharing a cage together, so keep that in mind. Even if the birds aren’t necessarily friends, however, they do keep each other company when you’re not home. Are you home often? I would keep training your current bird and continue developing your relationship. You can leave the cage door open and put a perch right outside the door. Make coming out rewarding, and always end on a positive note. You can put a play stand out so he can hang out on that while he’s out. Just remember to never force him to do anything.

bubblesoup

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Buggles
I would get another bird only if you want another bird, and have the time and resources to care for one. I’ve had four cockatiels in three cages before because not everyone likes sharing a cage together, so keep that in mind. Even if the birds aren’t necessarily friends, however, they do keep each other company when you’re not home. Are you home often? I would keep training your current bird and continue developing your relationship. You can leave the cage door open and put a perch right outside the door. Make coming out rewarding, and always end on a positive note. You can put a play stand out so he can hang out on that while he’s out. Just remember to never force him to do anything.
I actually switch in between me and my boyfriend's house weekly so I'm usually home for say 4 days and then I'm gone for 4 days. (Of course, I have other family members at home who interact with him every day while I'm away.) I'm thinking about bringing him with me one time since my partner has some extra cages.
I guess that's another question I have, would that be a good idea to bring him with me? I'm going back there for only 2-3 days this time so I'm thinking maybe that would be a good time to test the waters but I don't really want to stress him out too much so if it sounds like a bad idea please let me know. I'm still unsure about it.
The perch right outside of the door is a super good idea! I don't know how I've never thought of that! I'll definitely be trying that out with him. I'm actually going to the bird store tomorrow to get him some new things like a play stand since none of the pet stores near me have any.
Thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate it!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would try taking him with you. My birds always seem to enjoy going wherever I go. You just have to make sure your boyfriend's place is bird safe. As for a second bird, as Tielfeathers said, you should only get a second bird if you want a second bird. It's definitely company for the other bird, especially if you're going away for days at a time. But you have to be prepared as said, for two cages, twice the expense, etc. I have 2 tiels- granted they lived as only birds before coming to me and are older- but they are both more interested in me than each other.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you should take him with you also. How far is the drive? About twice a month I travel 90 minutes with my birds and stay for at least four days. The roads are very bumpy and winding, but they don’t seem to care. You can get him used to the travel cage and car by going on a few really short drives and then increase the time. You can put some familiar toys in the other cage too.