• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions for Macaw owners.

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M.C Bird Rescue

It has been a strange week. It seems that Jen , myself , and this other Lady named Christine all took in Macaws that needed homes and were neglected.
ALL 3 of them have been regurgitating for us. Now...this seems strange to me. It usually takes more time for me to gain trust in order to get FED! So...I would like to know..is this normal Macaw behavior on day 1? She regurged for me after only 20 minutes in my home.

I am wondering also why the change has caused the regurgitating. Also, is it due to possibly the time of year?

These people who owned the 3 Macaws, none of the people who owned these 3 birds had any comfort level with birds. Could this also be the case?

What are the opinions on this ?

Also....the 2 Macaws ((christine (GW Macaw) Jen (Severe)) were from the same home. Lola was NOT in that home.

Ideas?

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, my macaw did NOT regurge for me when I first got her, because she was coming from a basically loving home, where her favorite person spoiled/neglected her. She didn't regurge until later, after we had a chance to bond over time. Sooo, my theory is that these birds were just really starved for affection, and were thrilled to be around people they could bond with, especially the baby that you took in. IME, macaws are all about interaction--they love to be engaged with caregivers, and when they don't get that, they feel trauma or sadness to one degree or another.

I'm so glad these birds found good homes :)

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
I have found that MaCaws will do this behavior when they are excited especially in a good way...i try to discourage it ...it can lead to some prob later....it is sweet that they are offering YUCK...it can become obessive or later when they are mature you dont want them to mistake you for a mate..it can be verry frustrating for them and cause behavioral probs later.......this is just my experience..with MANY mature MaCaws good luck

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I have found that MaCaws will do this behavior when they are excited especially in a good way...i try to discourage it ...it can lead to some prob later....it is sweet that they are offering YUCK...it can become obessive or later when they are mature you dont want them to mistake you for a mate..it can be verry frustrating for them and cause behavioral probs later.......this is just my experience..with MANY mature MaCaws good luck

Yes regurgitating is NO FUN! Disuading the behavior is even less fun. My question was only about the reasoning behind the too soon regurgitating. It always amazes me how these guys react at first, but she seems right at home here. WAY BETTER than she was there..I mean wow..she was literally terrorized!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, macaws will "head bob" when they are happy or excited. Mine will do it for a new toy. When they actually regurge, it is bonding behavior. Personally, I see it as natural behavior, so while I might try to minimize it a bit, I do try to respect the behavior and what I can learn from it as well...

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
I ignore it when Ray does the regurge. I don't say anything or get excited, I just turn my back or distract him

Status
Not open for further replies.