• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions for horse owners!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
After years of planning and dreaming, my parents have finally given me permission to start saving up for a horse. :horse: I've been riding horses since before I can remember on my grandma's ranch. I take horse back riding lessons and volunteer for a horse group. I've always loved horses and have always dreamed of having my own. I want to prepare myself the best I can to give the horse the happiest home I can offer. First off, I don't have horse property but my neighbors, who have horses right behind my backyard, will probably be willing to let me keep my horse in one of their stalls in return for work. If they decide they don't want to, the stables up the street allows kids to board their horses there in return for scooping poop. So I don't have to worry about boarding, housing, and possibly even feeding fees. In order to get a horse, I first need to save up enough money to pay for all the horses needs (besides food and housing) for one year. So what would I need to do for my horse, how often, and how much should I plan on spending for it? Also, if I get a horse that doesn't come with a saddle and tack, how do you measure a horse for a saddle? Or do you even have to? I'm hoping that all together, the horse, the supplies, and the care for one year will cost less than $3,000 but I'm in no rush to get the horse so if I need to go higher, I can. What is the recommended diet for horses? My neighbors feed only hay to their horses but I always thought that grain or oats or something else should be offered. What are the temperature ranges for riding horses? Like, what's too hot and what's too cold? Will I be able to ride on clear winter days even if it's cold? Sorry about all the questions. I am so excited right now! I can't believe after all these years, my dream is coming true! :D
I'm not old enough to have a job, so I'm trying to earn money other ways. I babysit a few times a week, I sell art, and, in two weeks, I am going to start a dog walking business. Any other ideas? I've always wanted to make and sell bird toys, but it it sounds really expensive and hard. I am going to do a lot of canvas and feather paintings and start selling originals along with my commissioned art.

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
No suggestions but congrats :dancing:You must be over the moon!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
$3,000 could be spent a year just on vets from what someone here was saying not long ago.:eek: I would definitely have a fund set aside just for that purpose before bringing a horse home. We have several people who presently own horses who can answer the pertinent questions. I am out of the loop as I haven't been around horses in decades. I am jealous of everyone that can keep them.:cool1:Huge congrats and good luck!

stephwin

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
Take a look a few posts down and take a look at my Potential Cost of Horse Ownership thread (or something like that). For my area, pasture boarding and 1 lesson a week would run me around $600 a month! :eek: I listed out a few specific things that I knew I would be paying monthly (board, lessons, etc.) but a lot of other people posted things I didn't think about, like the ongoing cost of tack. I think most of us could easily spend $3000 alone just on quality tack.

You might also want to seriously consider some type of insurance for the horse, in the case that it gets colic and needs emergency surgery. I would hate to be in a situation where I was told my horse needs a $2k emergency surgery to save it's life when I know I couldn't afford it.

Things to consider:
If you chip in at the barn, what costs are covered (and what aren't). Also, if school gets busy or you do eventually get a job, will you still have time to pitch in to cover costs?
Farrier costs
Routine vet costs
Emergency vet costs
Tack (both initial purchase and ongoing)
I saw you live in Utah, so I would imagine you would need a thick blanket for winter
Will you be taking lessons
Will you show/compete
Insurance

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
No advice only to say that they can run away with your money so save, save save and be thrifty in what you spend on it! Good luck and enjoy.:D

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Congrats on getting the green light for purchasing a horse! I remember how excited I was when I got my first horse - it's an amazing feeling, isn't it? :)

Let me try to answer some of your questions. First off, most horses are NOT sold with their saddles & tack. Saddle fitting can be easy or complex, depending on the horse. Ask the seller if they've had any saddle fit problems and look at the withers on the horse. Any white hairs on their withers, or back, can indicate prior problems with saddle fitting. Your best bet is to ask your trainer to check saddle fit. Or, you can have a saddle fitter come out to check saddle fit for you, but this will cost $$$. My current horse is an andalusian - very short backed and round through the girth, but also has decent withers - he had to have a custom saddle fitted to his back. The ones in the stores did not fit him properly. :(

Diet is going to depend on the individual horse. Some are air ferns who barely need anything to thrive, others can be a nonstop headache of feeding issues. Be wary of horses that are too thin when you buy them, esp. if they are cribbers or "windsuckers". They are notoriously hard to keep healthy as they'd rather crib than eat. We had one who cribbed (even with a cribbing collar) and he was a nightmare to keep at a healthy weight. I'd never buy another cribber again! Grain and sweet feed shouldn't be necessary unless you have the horse in regular training or hard work. Grain can make the horse "hot", so no need to create excess energy unless you need it for hard training or competition. My horse gets a handful of sweetfeed daily, just to mix his supplements in with, not because he needs the energy. :D

Horses are quite hardy with respect to cold weather. If you don't blanket, their heavy winter coats will keep them warm. If it's not too cold for you, it will be fine for them. However, you have to be VERY careful that you don't work the horse so hard that it gets sweaty. Damp winter fur takes a LONG time to dry, and a horse can get a chill and very sick if they stand in the cold with damp hair. So, on cold days, just an easy trail ride at the walk! :)

Make sure that you talk to your neighbors and/or the stable about boarding arrangements before you get the horse. You mentioned that you don't need to worry about boarding or feed fees, but I'm betting that this is incorrect. Horses are VERY expensive to feed, and take a lot of work to maintain daily (feeding, watering, cleaning, turnout, etc). I've never known a stable who will board for free in exchange for poop scooping - unless you are doing the entire barn of 20 horses twice a day. Some barns will give you a reduction in board for self-care, but it's usually not a big discount. Don't assume anything - you could find yourself in deep financial trouble very quickly if the barn/neighbor suddenly decides that they don't want to subsidize your horse anymore. Safest bet is to know what it costs to board/feed, and be prepared to pay that if necessary.

Something to consider is leasing a horse. You can lease a horse in a variety of arrangements. Full lease, where you get the horse 100% of the time and are responsible for all costs. Or lesser leases, maybe two days a week, where you pay a portion of the costs. This will give you an idea of what you can afford, what type of horse you want, and how everything will work out, especially the financial side of horse ownership. The best part of leasing is that, if things aren't working out, you can end the lease. You aren't stuck with the financial responsibility of a horse that continues to incur expenses while you are frantically trying to sell him. Ask at local stables about leases - just about every barn will know of a horse or two that are able to lease.

Good luck with the saving and the horse search! It's such an exciting process - have fun! :dancing:

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Thanks for all the info! :D I will talk to my neighbor and call the stables soon to see what they think. The stables have told me before that they have kids who work for their horses to be boarded there. But I will definitely check before I get a horse just in case I'm incorrect. I'm sure my horse back riding teacher will be able to help me with saddles and other stuff. She's very nice and helpful. I might look into leasing a horse. The only problem with that, is I know if I do that, I'll fall desperately in love with the horse and then never want to let it go. :( I'm hoping that I will have enough money by the end of next summer to get everything.
Another question...do horses need toys? I always look out at horses in stalls and they look so sad and bored! Is there anything I can get to occupy mines time? Also, how often do you recommend cleaning the stall? I've heard people say anything from once a week to every day.

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
At the very minimum, stalls need to be cleaned once a day! Standing in urine-soaked bedding will cause all kinds of hoof problems, plus it's terrible for their lungs. I clean my stalls twice a day, sometimes 3 times. I wouldn't keep my horse at a barn that cleans stalls less than once a day! :(

Toys are available - various jolly balls and hanging likit-type toys. None of mine have ever been crazy about toys, but it IS very boring for them to stand in a stall all day. If possible, arranging for them to have turnout in a yard or pasture daily is a very good thing for their sanity. Horses are meant to roam & graze all day, not stand in a stall. Here in California, they have little choice. Land is too valuable to waste on pastures. Mine have small turnouts attached to their stalls, so they can go in and out of their stall as they choose.

As for leasing & falling in love, lots of times you can end up buying the leased horse. We leased Cordini for my daughter and loved him so much that we ended up buying him. :D

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Talk to the barn owners IMMEDIATELY! Going off here-say and they may do this for me won't work. Most horses do need fed grain along with hay.

As for cost it depends on what you want in a horse. Show horse, trail horse, barrel horse?

As for the cost of tack. Again it depends on what you need.

A good price on a saddle would be around $500 for a GOOD QUALITY used one (english or western). And you do have to try different saddles they all fit differently, its a royal pain. Stay clear of cheapy no name saddles, they are junk and terrible for your horse's back. Bridle expect to pay about $20-$30 for a good used one that'll last you a while. Then for one simple bit around $10 but you never end up with just one bit, usually people have 3-4. Then halter and lead usually runs you about $30 or more. Saddle pad around $30. Fly mask about $25 or so. Fly spray I probably spend about $60 per summer. Vet wrap for injuries $1 a roll (I tend to have about 20 rolls on hand). Polo wraps for the winters to warm up the legs $15. Lunge line $25, lunge whip $10. Swat (fly stuff for cuts) $5. Grooming tools $20 or so. Saddle soap, oil, and conditioner $20.

Then most horses need some sort of winter blanket. Those usually run about $80 for just one. I have 5 for my horse. I have a waterproof sheet (I paid $50), a waterproof thick blanket (I paid $100), a show sheet (I paid $30), a fly sheet (I paid $40), and a cooler (I paid $25).

Then I like to have saddle covers for my saddles that keeps the mold and such off them. They're about $15 each. Then if your horse ends up needing any supplements or anything.

Vet bills are expensive so ideally you want ATLEAST $1,000 saved up for an emergency (although it can cost more). Pre-buying check up is around $100, shots I spend about $200 a year, coggins test $75.

I'm sure there's more I'm just not thinking about it.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Thanks! I will go talk to my neighbors later this week. I think I might try leasing then, and find a horse that I can buy if I decide to. Does it cost a lot extra to lease? How much? I will plan on scooping stalls at least once a day. My neighbors don't scoop their horse area and all their horses are really dirty and neglected. :( So I would be in charge of my own horse, just borrowing space. Because I don't like the way they take care of their horses at all. They do have a field where all their horses roam during the day, so if my horse gets along with theirs, could I let mine out with them during the day? Or should I keep mine separate? They have one big sand arena (they never use it...I see them ride maybe once a month) that they let people come and use for free to ride. That's probably where I would ride.
I want to get a kids horse. I don't need a showy or competing horse. Just a nice ranch horse that loves to be ridden. I want to find a sweet horse that my siblings can ride too. Here in Utah a good horse like that sells for about $500. Many of the horses here come with their own saddles, bridles, halters, etc. I would like it to be a good trail horse too.
How much does hoof care cost a year? Foot trims, new shoes, etc...

Last edited:

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
Usually it doesn't cost any extra to lease the horse, unless it is a high level show horse. A typical full lease means that you are responsible for all of the day to day costs - board, feed, supplements, lessons, hoof care, and sometimes basic vet care (shots). The owner is responsible for insurance, and vet care for everything else. My warmblood is leased out like this - it's a full lease, so I don't ride him ever. She has him full-time and can ride as often as she wishes, plus she can show him & take him to training clinics, etc. He is boarded at her barn, not my barn, so I haven't even seen him since October. She does post pics on facebook and I've been following his success in the show ring, so I know she's doing well with him.

When we leased my daughter's horse Cordini, it was a half lease. That meant that we rode him 3 times per week, the owner rode him 3 times, and the horse got one day off. :) We paid roughly half of his board/farrier/vet/supplements for this arrangement. Any lessons that we did on him was our responsibility too, as were show expenses.

Foot care will vary in cost depending on your farriers. Here in California, we pay a LOT for everything horse-related. My horses don't have shoes but I'm still paying $75 per horse per trim. And I'm thrilled to pay it since he is a good farrier and it is hard to get a good, reliable farrier to come out just to do just my two horses. The good ones prefer to work with a larger barn so they have multiple horses to trim or shoe. Shoes for my other horse are $175 and they need to be reset every 6 wks.

If your horse gets along with the other horses, it's best for him to be out with them. Horses are herd animals, so they are happiest with other horses. A few bites & kicks is normal as they work out the pecking order in the herd. It always looks terrible when you introduce a new horse into a herd because they have to work out all their issues. They get pretty badly bit up all over their bodies for a while. :D

I think you'll find that you're going to have to pay more than $500 for a good kid's horse. There will be plenty of horses in that price range, but you'll find that they are young & less trained, or have some training problems, or health problems (lameness, etc). A good trail horse, that can be ridden by kids, is hard to find and will be priced accordingly. Even in Utah. Unless you are an experienced rider, with confidence on green/spooky/difficult horses, be very careful in believing what the seller says about the horse. People are notoriously crooked when it comes to unloading a bad horse on an unsuspecting new horse owner, esp. if this is your first horse. That's why leasing is a good idea. You'll learn a lot about horse behavior and body language, which will help you determine just how truthful the horse seller is actually being!

Be careful too if the horse is coming with his saddle, bridle, and all tack. This often means that an unsuspecting beginner has been suckered into buying an inappropriate horse, and just wants to get out of horses completely. Most horse people will keep their saddles, and tack, for future horses. Tack is expensive and it's smart to buy the highest quality possible so that you can use it for many years. If the person is unloading all equipment with the horse, it can mean that the experience hasn't been positive and they just want the horse gone.

Another tip - if you're going out to see the horse and, when you arrive, the horse is already saddled up and sweating heavily, run for the hills! This means the owner has been lunging or riding the crap out of the horse in an attempt to tire it out so that is behaves nicely when YOU ride it. A tired horse is less likely to act up or misbehave, so be sure to tell the seller that you want to see the horse being groomed & tacked up before being ridden. Then have the owner ride first to show you what the horse can do. I like to show up 30 mins earlier than I said I would, just to catch any seller "cheating" like this.

Also, any seller that won't ride his own horse is giving you a clear message as to how safe that horse will be. I learned that one the hard way - tried out a mare even though the owner wouldn't ride her for me. She reared up and flipped over on me. I was lucky to escape injury.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Thanks for all the tips.
I am going to ask my horse back riding teacher about her farrier. She may have good recommendations for me. Also, there is a horse vet right up the street from me so I may call and learn some more about them and their pricing.
I added saddle and tack to my list of what to save up for. I will keep that in mind when I'm looking for a horse.
I've checked out some adds for horses around here and a lot of people are leasing horses to find a good owner and then they will sell. If I were leasing a horse, and someone wanted to buy it, could they take it from me? That's what I'm worried about. Because I was fostering an amazon last year for my bird club and I was saving up to adopt her but then I got a call saying someone had bought her and would be there to pick her up in a few days. I was so sad. I don't want that to happen with a horse being leased if I decide I want to buy it.
I will plan on saving up more than $500 for a horse and if I do find a good horse for $500, I will definitely get to know it a lot before buying it.

Conmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Helen
Cinnylover - whoaaa....please, for your sake and the horse's sake slow down. Find a stable that offers riding lessons, the two BASIC discilpines are English and Western. It gets more involved beyond that, but find a barn you like and feel comfortable in, in any discipline. LEARN. See what it takes to care for and feed horses, learn all you can before you commit to owning a horse. There are stall fees, vet bills, shoeing every six weeks, and the work involved in everyday care of a horse. And lots of people who say they will care but don't. Sorry to say but people who are not honest will make a lot of money off someone who is a bit naive, and the major expense could be the health of your horse. I truly don't mean to be a downer, just telling it like it is. So...Please....hang around a barn for six months to a year before you buy. And, I currently live at a farm where the horses are on grass 16 hrs. per day. They still need grain and other nutrients. If you have any more ??? plse. PM me.

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
My thinking is if there's the will, there's always a way!

My daugther who's 12 now has her own pony that we got about 2 years ago. It was a dream come true for her, and I never imagined that we could ever afford one for her. But as I say, if the desire is there, the way will open up for you.

My advice to you is to make as many contacts as you can with horse people. Are you a member of a local Pony Club, for example. You never know who you will meet who will help you find the right pony or help you out. We have here places where you can buy used tack for very inexpensive, and as I say, often the way opens up. Saddles are very expensive, and in our case, someone we met and knew my daughter's passion for horses sold us a beautiful salad worth much more for a fraction of the cost. As your circle of friends and horse acquaintances grow, and you offer help like cleaning stalls and tack for others, your needs will be known and it's just amazing how they are often met. Of course, for us to maintain the pony (and our parrots and dogs) our lifestyle is cut back. No lavish vacations or fancy cars for us. But it's worth every sacrifice to see the joy on my daughter's face every day to see her ride and love the pony of her dreams!:heart: Good luck on your search. Never get discouraged. Keep your ears and eyes open for opportunities. Do it all with love, and the way will be opened for you I am sure.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I am not planning on buying a horse for over a year. I'm just trying to learn all I can now and do a lot of research so I will be prepared. I am currently trying to make a list of all the things I will have to save up for including vet and farrier expenses for a year after I buy my horse, and all the supplies, and, of coarse, the horse! The reason I am calling stables, vets, and talking to my neighbor, is so that I know that, in a year or two, when I do get my horse, I will for sure have a good place to keep and care for it. I am taking lessons right now and just started ordering Horse Illustrated magazines so I can learn lots about them before I get my own. I have done a lot of horse care for my grandma on her ranch. In fact, next summer for two weeks sometime before I get my horse, I am going to spend two weeks on her ranch and I will be in charge of feeding and cleaning after her horses. I'm hoping that will help prepare me for caring for my own horse. Sorry if it seems like I'm going fast. I'm just trying to learn fast right now. :)

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
I think it's a great idea to start doing as much research as possible now. The more you learn, the better your decision-making skills will be when it's time to choose your horse! :)

I agree that Pony Club or 4H is an excellent idea. The knowledge that you will gain in Pony Club will be priceless and you will use it for the rest of your horse-owning life. Also, you may find someone who has outgrown their own horse who will sell you that horse at an excellent price, rather than selling to a complete stranger. Or even someone who may let your ride one of their horses while you're in Pony Club. In my 33 yrs of horse involvement, I've often ridden and shown horses that I do not own. Horse people can be very generous if you show that you are a hard worker and will take good care of their horses. :)

Horse ownership is a wonderful and confusing world. I've owned countless horses and have been in professional training for many years, but I'm still learning so much every day. As long as you keep your mind open to learning new facts & skills, your experience will be wonderful. As soon as you start thinking you know it all, there will be a horse out there who will humble you swiftly and effectively. :D

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
I have grown up around horses all of my life from the pit ponies in my childhood coming up into the sunlight from underground for just two -to three weeks of the year to looking after and riding one in my childhood,learning to live with the grief of losing a wonderful friend at the end of his days.
Having a rock of a husband who took me to horse fairs and let me bring home numerous waifs and strays to look after and school and ride.
Now in old age we have our old palamino still with us and needing to be looked after daily, but would not have it any other way whilst still able to do it.
Like any animal they are diverse and individual in their personalities, needs and capabilities. Good luck with your quest and above all enjoy!:hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I have been a horse owner for 19 years. The most I've had to spend on one vet bill so far is $700, but that was years ago, and would probably be more like $1000 now. I've actually spent 3x that on the African Grey I adopted in January!

The biggest expense with horse ownership is getting started. A barn, stalls and fencing. If you don't have those expenses by keeping your horse elsewhere, that helps a lot!

As for saddles, you buy one that fits you correctly, but also your horse to some extent. Most horses will do fine in most saddles, but a very round horse with low withers may need a wide tree saddle. A horse with exceptionally high withers may need a saddle with a cutout in the front to accomodate that.

For riding for fun there are a lot of choices these days in synthetic saddles. You can wash them with a hose, too, which is nice. I often used one in the cross country portion of eventing because I knew it would get wet with water jumps, and usually muddy as well. You might also find a good deal on a used saddle. Buying used allows you to get a good quality saddle that can last decades if you take good care of it, but for a lot less money than new.

You will need grooming supplies: a curry comb, hard brush, soft brush, mane/tail comb and a hoofpick for starters.

You will need a yearly vet exam for vaccinations and floating teeth. Honestly it's usually cheaper than a full wellness check on a bird!

You will need a farrier. If it is just for hoof trims and no shoes, check who your neighbors are using and what he/she charges. It could be anywhere from $15 to $35 depending on the farrier and any special needs your horse has. You will need hoof trims approximately every 8 weeks. Sometimes more often during wet, warm weather and less often in dry or colder weather.

You need to de-worm your horse as well. Ivermectin is about $10 a dose. If you are boarding where there will be 5 or less horses, you can do this every other month. If there are more than 5 horses you should do it monthly.

Feel free to ask if you have other questions and congrats on your horse! My parents wouldn't let me have one and I had to wait until I was an adult with my own house.

Shamrock

Real Name
Meredith
First, never be sorry for asking questions!!
Before worrying about tack and such, you first need to find the horse...and since you have time before you're ready to buy one, you have plenty of time to think about just what type and height of horse you're looking for. The things you will need to measure when it comes to your saddle is the cantle, and the bars...and then you will need to get the correct length of cinch/girth. When you purchase your horse, ask the owner about the saddle size and girth length that they use.
As for feed...there are many points of view here. Personally, if the horse maintains well on hay and pasture, it does not need grain. Grain and concentrated feed is a major contributor to many health related conditions that are easily avoided by staying away from feeds...ESPECIALLY sweet feed! Unless your horse is going to be in strenuous competition, is lactating, or growing, you don't need to give concentrates, except as maybe a small treat after a good ride.
For veterinary expense (barring accidents or illness) a thorough yearly check up is sufficient for most horses. At this exam, your vet should vaccinate your horse for the specific things that are a threat in your area, check and float teeth if needed, and deworm for you if you aren't comfortable doing it yourself...though it really is simple. I use diatomaceous earth mixed into a handfull of pelleted feed to deworm my horses daily, and use Ivermectin paste twice yearly...in the spring, and after the first hard frost in the fall. The added bonus to the diatomaceous earth is that it keeps fly larvae from developing in their poo!
He should also check the horses ears, eyes, heart, and pull blood for a coggins test (and if you're boarding your horse, that is most likely mandatory). The cost varies by veterinarian and region, but here it's under $250 dollars unless they need their teeth floated...then it's around $300 because they have to use sedation to do it. I know that most boarding facilities have a "vet day" where the vet comes out and spends however long it takes to get all the boarding horses done...this way the stable owner knows all the horses are taken care of and everyone is done on the same day. Makes it much easier on them! LOL!
Next is for the farrier. Every farrier charges differently depending on their level of experience. Cheaper is NOT better here. The best advice I can give you is find a journeyman farrier that has graduated from a shoeing school. They're more expensive than the backyard, self taught joe, but in the end it's worth it for your horse. A horse that is incorrectly trimmed and or shod will pay for it later, and so will you with extra veterinary bills. If you don't ride alot, or if you just ride in an arena or on grassy pastures, then honestly, shoes are not necessary unless the horse has some underlying hoof problem that requires them. Horses feet, legs, tendons, joints, etc are much healthier when left barefoot.
As for riding your horse in the cold....horses can handle the cold much better than they can the heat. The only thing with cold weather riding is try not to get your horse sweaty, but if he does sweat make sure you have a cooler sheet until he dries out completely. In hot weather, it's best to ride early in the morning or late in the evening. Really, just use common sense and you should be fine. If you want to hose your hot horse off during the summer after a ride, be sure start with the front legs and slowly move upward toward the chest to avoid cramping the larger muscles.
Well, that should give you a starting place! Do your research in the mean time and you'll be fine! Congratulations and good luck!!!
:laughing12:

GreyGirl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Taylor
Congratulations!
I figured I would just throw my experience in! I received my horse a year and a half ago for my 18th birthday! I love her to death, but boy is she a load of work! I wouldn't ever consider getting rid of her, but when people say horses are expensive they aren't lying. I leased for three years before I got my horse (I fell in love with her while I was leasing her) so I was prepared for the day to day costs.
I spend-
$400/month for stall day board with night turnout with haybales or fresh forage available. This includes daily stall cleaning, feeding twice a day, and turnout
$40/every 6 weeksfor hoof trims, I'm lucky my girl's got solid feet and goes well barefoot
$6-8/every other month for dewormer paste
$150/year in vaccinations
$200/year for teeth floating

I buy a lot of other stuff randomly from brushes to riding gloves, I probably spend $50/month in replacing things as they wear out. Summer means fly spray, and a mask that wears out every summer or so. Nice winter blankets are expensive. My thin skinned thoroughbred grows quite a nice coat(likely due to the $20/month in supplements she devours which I forgot to mention) but I keep a variety of blankets and sheets on hand to keep her as comfortable as possible.

Vetcare is the big ? My mare is really very healthy. She's young, doesn't have skin, hoof, or joint problems (I keep her on supplements to hopefully keep her that way as she is my competition horse) and is a fairly easy keeper. But this summer she had a freak pasture accident (she likely rubbed her face on something) and ended up with a deep corneal ulcer. $2500 in vet bills, and we took immediate action. If she had waited around for vet care it couldhave been a lot worse. She had to stay at the vet clinic for 13 days with 7 seven days of around the clock care. It would have been one of those horror horse vet stories everyone forewarns newcomers about except we saved her eye and vision and she is back to being her norma lhealthy self in a matter of weeks. But I completely wiped out my equine vet fund AND competition fund in one incident. Yep back to being a poor college student. But she is 100% worth it. If I didn't love her and riding (which is very little of it) I wouldn't work so hard to keep a horse. I work at the barn where I board her seven feedings/week. I am responsible for feeding, haying,watering, turning in/out the 45 horses on the property. It's a lot of work. I also nanny after school to pay for my birdies and fill up my competition fund. I love my animals!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.