• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about two types of food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Can I nuke frozen yam patties and serve them to the birds? I bought a huge bag of yams at Wally World this weekend and figured the birds could use some variety and wanted to serve them some. Would this be okay, or should they be fully cooked in the oven first?

What about apple cider out of the jug? Just as a treat, would it be okay to serve them a little bit? (They drink OJ, apple juice, etc. from time to time, but since this is cider I don't know if it is safe or not since there are other things besides juice in it.)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The very first thing you need to do is learn to read the labels on food and understand what you are reading.

As far as the yams go, all gourds should be cooked. Yams are nutritionally excellent food. The microwave is fine - just make sure the food is cooled enough and doesn't have any hot spots.

I don't have a clue about apple cider, except as an additive to drinking water to keep bacterial and fungal growth at bay.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That's a great tip about reading labels ML. If it has ingredients that you can't even pronounce the names of, they are obviously not what you want to feed your birds. So many things in packages have tons of "chemical" ingredients it's not funny. I won't eat them never mind the birds. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:huh:Don't know too much about the apple cider. What are the ingredients in "yam Patties"? Is it just yams?

Status
Not open for further replies.