• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about the homing process for my pigeon

Jogging around the block
I adopted my pigeon, Toupee, with the intention to home him and let him out eventually.
So he's in a coop right now, he has a good view of where he is, so he can get used to his surroundings, but depending on which angle he was from, it would look different. So I want to be able to let him look around for different angles.I'm not sure how to do this. I have a travel cage I could put him in, and carry him around, or set him down and watch him. Would that be a good idea?
Wing strength. He has little wing strength right now, he was kept in a cage too small for him to fly, and my coop is not really good for flight either. I do have a room I could let him fly around in, but it really is nothing to a flight in the sky, so he wont have good wing strength or flight skills. Our pigeons, babies, slowly gained flight strength, but they did not spook and try fly off, because they were too young to be that aware of scary things. Will he know he can't fly all over the place? I'm scared he will spook,fly off, get lost, and only land when he has no flight strength left. Or try follow my other pigeons on a flight, which they can fly for hours effortlessly, but he can't.
Feeding. I feed my other pigeons on the ground, will he just copy them and come down to eat too? Or do I need to teach him somehow?

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not all pigeons are homing pigeons.
Some never are able to learn, they just don’t genetically have what it takes.

If your coop is too small for flight, he may never build the endurance needed for long hauls. Does the rest of your flock free flight during the day, and only return to roost at night?

You’ll definitely need to feed him up and keep him contained if the rest of the flock is free flighted.

Is there any way you can make a flight pen?

Jogging around the block
Not all pigeons are homing pigeons.
Some never are able to learn, they just don’t genetically have what it takes.

If your coop is too small for flight, he may never build the endurance needed for long hauls. Does the rest of your flock free flight during the day, and only return to roost at night?

You’ll definitely need to feed him up and keep him contained if the rest of the flock is free flighted.

Is there any way you can make a flight pen?
Yes, I agree with that. He is not pure fancy pigeon, only some a bit back in his cross. He definitely looks like he has quite a bit of homing pigeon in him.
Yes, my flock is able to do what they like all day, which is usually flying, and they return back to their safe roosting spot at night.
I don't think I can make a flight pen, but I do have a spare room he could be in all day. Should I keep him in the room for some of the time?