• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about step-up/taming

Dre2f

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone! Ive recently gotten a 11 week old baby Sun Conure, he/she will come up to the front of the cage and lick all over my face and fingers lol. But the problem im having is step-up training. Ive been training him/her for maybe about 4-5 days now and I know thats not enough most likely but still he does not come to my fingers without a treat being bribed to him/her. Also, it seems that the baby doesnt really like scritches as when I try to give it some, it kind of backs away. That or it lets me for a little then backs away. I find it is also a cage bird, I say this because whenever we he comes out and I bring him to the couch, he flies back to the cage. So overall please leave any tips or info for me as I am a new parrot owner! (Ive had him for about 1 1/2 weeks now) Thank you so much.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
1 and 1/2 weeks is not long and your bird is still settling in. He is probably flying back to the cage as he feels safe there.
The fact he is taking treats is positive just give him time to get to know you.
Try getting him to step up onto a perch so he learns what to do try not to rush things and let the bird dictate what how far he wants to go and dont spend to long on training they can get bored of it quickly.
I have two conures it took one a month before she stepped up the other still wont after 3 months.

You have got to be patient give the bird time and i am sure things will progress.

Dre2f

Meeting neighbors
1 and 1/2 weeks is not long and your bird is still settling in. He is probably flying back to the cage as he feels safe there.
The fact he is taking treats is positive just give him time to get to know you.
Try getting him to step up onto a perch so he learns what to do try not to rush things and let the bird dictate what how far he wants to go and dont spend to long on training they can get bored of it quickly.
I have two conures it took one a month before she stepped up the other still wont after 3 months.

You have got to be patient give the bird time and i am sure things will progress.
Thanks, I will try and implement this when training.

Dre2f

Meeting neighbors
May I also ask, If he/she does come on my hand and if I bring him/her to somewhere like my room/bed, is this ruining all the progress? Or is it only if the bird itself feels scared? Because sometimes I find his/her's belly to be shivering when I take him/her out. Thank you!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would initially stay where he can see his cage as i said try and let the bird dictate things. One of my conures landed on me when i was leaving the room so i allowed her to come with me she now go's all over the house with me the other one has never done that so she stays in the room with her cage where she feels comfortable.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I never used, step-up, per se. I always used, come-on let's go. Same thing, I guess but treats are the key and take your time. A sun will cling to you like glue eventually. There is absolutely nothing I can do without mine. He has become the appitamy of Velcro! He's like a clinging vine all over me constantly. (He's 3 1/2yo now) Unfortunately, he is not loving and prefers his distance and his own space. No scratches, no petting just leave him be is all he wants while I am his 'tree'. Yes, it's a one sided affair but he is funny to watch and so very very pretty. :)

Last edited: