• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about my new linnie

s08066

Checking out the neighborhood
I got egg york, a lutino linnie from a pet store 3 weeks ago. I was told he is about 4-5 months old. Not clipped. This is the first time I got a parrot, there are a few questions I would like to ask.
  1. Can we know the gender of lutino linnie by 'eye-test'? The shop keeper said eye-york is a male by 'eye-test', is that so? (I attached some photos of eye york)
  2. Egg york seems a bit lazy. He seldom moves in his cage. He seems not really interested in getting out of his cage, except when I take away his food pot. Not sure if he is nervous or the weather is pretty cold these days. The only motivation for him to move or getting out of cage is seeking foodAnything to motivate him to do more exercise? ️‍♂(He is putting on weight since he come here)️ Any types of toys a linnie would enjoy in or out of the cage? Maybe a ball with food inside?
  3. Eye york is willing to sit on my arm when he comes out of the cage and eat his favorite snack(sun flower seed). However, he is pretty hand-shy. He doesn't like me to touch or scratch him. Is there any way for me to better form bond with him? Is he trusting me when he is willing to sit on my arm? Any suggestion for me to strengthen the bond?
  4. Eye york talks a lot. He loves making 'bimp bimp' sound. He makes different sound everyday. Could someone explain the meaning of some common sound a linnie would make?

I know I asked so many questions, wish someone with great patience could kindly answer them

Attachments

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
1. No, DNA is the only way to tell.
2. Linnies enjoy a wide variety of toys. That cage is very small, I'm sure he would appreciate a bigger cage that he could fly in.
3. That's common. Just talk to him sweetly and let him sit on your arm and shoulder, you will quickly form a bond.
4. Linnies make a lot of sounds and greatly enjoy mimicking noises, birds and people. Could mean anything, but quiet noises mostly signify contentment.