• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions About My New Cockatiel

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Hi guys. I brought home a new cockatiel yesterday night, the breeders are pretty sure she is a female and is about 5 months old. She is a pied mutation and she has A lot of pretty feathers and seems to have good health in that sense. I’ve been worrying about her the whole day because she got scared from my conure yelling in another room that she bumped into the windows twice and bumped into them again about an hour later (not as hard as the first time though) Since then she spent a lot of time sleeping in her cage and I have not seen her eat as much as my other cockatiel does.

This morning she was singing and whistling and was preening and she was sitting on her food container eating a few of her seeds but wanted to play and whistle instead. After being energetic for the whole morning she has now been sleeping and resting in her cage. She is sleeping on her perch with her foot up and changes her position every so often so that she sleeps with her head in her feathers. I don’t know if she’s been eating enough but when I put my hand near her to try and offer some sun flower seeds she just ignores it. She drank water though and only a few seeds every single often but doesn't really sit down to eat a lot like my other birds do. I checked on her dropping they were mostly fine and looked normal but at one point it was more watery but still seems fine now.

My family thinks that She’s just sleeping more because she is still a baby and that she may be stressed from being in a new home which may be why she isnt too hungry but I’m still really worried. Is any of this true? What can I do to help her?

By the way we are feeding her seeds for now because she was on a seed diet from the previous owners. And the people we got them from breed other birds and cockatiels too and seemed pretty knowledge about the birds and said that none of them are sick.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like she’s still settling in, and that she will become more active as time goes on. In general, she probably will never be as active as your conure. Your parents are correct in saying that young birds also sleep more than older birds. I would give her time and see how she does. As with any new bird, it would be good to take her in for a check up. Also, none of my tiels will touch sunflower seeds. Millet is a good taming and training treat for cockatiels. Congratulations on your new bird btw!

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Thanks for the advice. I will book a vet appointment but the one I usually go to will probably not have an opening until a week or two but I’ll definitely keep an eye on her until then.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Suggest you put some stickers on the window and other reflective surfaces since she is new to flying. Make your home completely bird safe.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
Suggest you put some stickers on the window and other reflective surfaces since she is new to flying. Make your home completely bird safe.
Have tried that, but didn’t ´t stop her from crashing into it. I have also picked up and made her touch the window which is what I did for Ember when she was young so I guess we’ll see if it works.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I’m wondering if its okay to clip her wings a little though. I know it may not be best way for her to like me but I don’t want her to get injured because she gets scared from the crows outside and she starts flying around then ends up hitting the window. Would clipping her wings just while she’s still getting used to the house be an okay solution? Maybe then she would not have as much force when she flies around, which i think would be better.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I’m wondering if its okay to clip her wings a little though. I know it may not be best way for her to like me but I don’t want her to get injured because she gets scared from the crows outside and she starts flying around then ends up hitting the window. Would clipping her wings just while she’s still getting used to the house be an okay solution? Maybe then she would not have as much force when she flies around, which i think would be better.
Maybe not because I just read about how it isn’t a good idea.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yeah, not a good idea, but she will learn the lay of the land fairly quickly. Just try and make everything is as safe as you can, and make sure it’s not too quiet in your house. Play music or have some white noise so that any sudden noises get drowned out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I’m wondering if its okay to clip her wings a little though
That will only serve to make her fly off balance and a greater chance of crashing. Not your answer. Your bird will eventually learn the glass is a barrier. You can also hang up temporary curtains of some sort or netting to block the crashes.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have string curtains in their room to prevent them from crashing. Or you can also stick some shiny ribbons to deter her. Screenshot_20220703-083128_Chrome.jpg

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
I had put some sticky notes on the windows and mirrors and also made her touch them with her beak to help her avoid crashing into them, and so far she hasn’t hit one too hard. She has been stopping herself from fully hitting them with her beak which seems to be signs of improvement.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's very cute.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran