• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about moving birds into the same cage

Kiworan

Meeting neighbors
So, I have two birds, as you may know. One of them is a very quick learner and has been stepping up and been training very nicely, but the other bird is an older budgie who will accept millet from my hand, but no further. Neither are fully tamed, but they are somewhat or mostly tame I suppose. Is it a good decision to move them in together at this point? Or should they both be fully tamed before doing anything? The newer bird's cage is too small for a bird, but I have nowhere else to home him until my two birds get along. He's very active and energetic, and I want him to be able to really do what he wants.
And any tips about the whole process? I have let one of them out at a time of their cages, but the older bird nips at the newer bird's feet when he comes to his cage. They fight between the bars as expected, so I'm just trying things out to help them bond with each other. I heard that rearranging the main cage could help. What do you guys think?

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
If they fight through the bars and nip at each other’s feet I wouldn’t put them together, is it possible to buy a bigger flight cage?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Tips? Ummm use caution!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The most important thing is, what is the relationship between these two birds like? How do they act when out of the cvage together? If they are bickering and not friendly, then I would not house them together at all.

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Personally, I recommend letting them meet in a neutral space, like a playstand for out-of-cage-time. I would let both of mine out and throw a blanket over their cages in the corner of the room.
Although, it sounds like they may not be ready for that if they're fighting. So, may just set their cages together so more for now, until they are calmer and more settled.
After all that, they're getting along well, I would clean and rearrange the permanent cage. And add extra food bowls and water bowls if you can.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I hope I can help, and I hope it goes well!:)

Kiworan

Meeting neighbors
Thank you to wveryone for the replies! Currently I cannot get a bigger cage for the newer bird, but I've been saving up money just in case. I'll try to see if they can get along a bit more first though

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'll try to see if they can get along a bit more first though
Yes. Remember, if they aren´t friends they can´t be housed together.
Good luck :)