• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about lovebirds and parrotlets

Eymiii

Moving in
Hey! I'm new on this forum. I'd be interested in getting a pet bird at some point and I've been doing some research. The two species that seem interesting to me are lovebird and parrotlet. Here are some questions I have:

1. I live in Finland where both of those are pretty rare (never seen parrotlets even in pet stores) compared to the more common pet birds so I would most likely have to buy a bird from a pet store which imports birds from Sweden. The birds are most likely parent-raised and I would assume that they haven't had much contact with people. Would such a bird make a good companion?

2. From what I've read, both lovebirds and parrotlets are better companions when on their own but I think keeping a single bird is looked frowned upon here. What are your thoughts?

3. Differences between parent-raised and hand-raised birds? Does anyone have experience with both, possibly of lovebirds and parrotlets?

4. Which species is generally less "feisty"? I would like a bird who likes to hang out and is somewhat hands-on but I've read that parrotlets may be a bit more difficult compared to lovebirds or that they're not necessarily hands-on. I know you can't but a whole species in a box and say exactly what they're like but I'm trying to figure out which one would be ideal for me if I ever decide to get either one.

I'm 18 years old and live alone. My family has dogs so I have no previous experience with birds. I'm in no rush to get a pet bird and any advice is greatly appreciated!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
1. I live in Finland where both of those are pretty rare (never seen parrotlets even in pet stores) compared to the more common pet birds so I would most likely have to buy a bird from a pet store which imports birds from Sweden. The birds are most likely parent-raised and I would assume that they haven't had much contact with people. Would such a bird make a good companion?

Even if the bird is parent raised you can still bond with it. If the bird is still young it will be easier than an adult bird. In both cases it is possible to make a good bond as long as you put the time in.

2. From what I've read, both lovebirds and parrotlets are better companions when on their own but I think keeping a single bird is looked frowned upon here. What are your thoughts?

I had my first lovebird for over a year alone, I bought him a buddy and he wasn´t interested. He still lives in his cage alone but has fly time out of the cage with my other birds.
To have one lovebird is fine only if you are willing to be it´s partner and devote time to him or he will get lonely.

3. Differences between parent-raised and hand-raised birds? Does anyone have experience with both, possibly of lovebirds and parrotlets?

All of my lovebirds are handraised and tame, except one. Aldora was found, so I have no idea of her age or anything. She bites if anyone goes near her cage (even to change water and food), but I still let her out with the other birds, she will fly over and perch on my shoulder or head. She never wants to be scratched or stroked. I respect her and always take my time with her and she´s not bitten me in a long time because I know the things she doesn´t like and I avoid doing them as best I can.
I do not have experience with a young parent raised bird. Maybe someone else can tell you their experiences :)

4. Which species is generally less "feisty"? I would like a bird who likes to hang out and is somewhat hands-on but I've read that parrotlets may be a bit more difficult compared to lovebirds or that they're not necessarily hands-on. I know you can't but a whole species in a box and say exactly what they're like but I'm trying to figure out which one would be ideal for me if I ever decide to get either one.

A lone lovebird would be with you a lot if you can create the bond. My younger bonded pair both spend a lot of time on me when out the cage, I think they see me as a 3rd parent? as I raised them from 21 days. They know Aldora is their mum.
Sydney, my lone lovebird also spends a lot of time with me. I take him out in a harness too.
Sorry, I do not own a parrotlet, as beautiful as they are.

To summerize, the key is time and patience. I hope some of this helps ?

Welcome to the forum. If you do get a bird, this forum is a great source of information. I am always learning something new :)

Eymiii

Moving in

Even if the bird is parent raised you can still bond with it. If the bird is still young it will be easier than an adult bird. In both cases it is possible to make a good bond as long as you put the time in.

I had my first lovebird for over a year alone, I bought him a buddy and he wasn´t interested. He still lives in his cage alone but has fly time out of the cage with my other birds.
To have one lovebird is fine only if you are willing to be it´s partner and devote time to him or he will get lonely.

All of my lovebirds are handraised and tame, except one. Aldora was found, so I have no idea of her age or anything. She bites if anyone goes near her cage (even to change water and food), but I still let her out with the other birds, she will fly over and perch on my shoulder or head. She never wants to be scratched or stroked. I respect her and always take my time with her and she´s not bitten me in a long time because I know the things she doesn´t like and I avoid doing them as best I can.
I do not have experience with a young parent raised bird. Maybe someone else can tell you their experiences :)

A lone lovebird would be with you a lot if you can create the bond. My younger bonded pair both spend a lot of time on me when out the cage, I think they see me as a 3rd parent? as I raised them from 21 days. They know Aldora is their mum.
Sydney, my lone lovebird also spends a lot of time with me. I take him out in a harness too.
Sorry, I do not own a parrotlet, as beautiful as they are.

To summerize, the key is time and patience. I hope some of this helps ?

Welcome to the forum. If you do get a bird, this forum is a great source of information. I am always learning something new :)
Thanks for replying! It definitely helps.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I wouldn't be overly concerned with parent-raised versus hand-raised. I've fostered a love bird and a parrotlet. I will say both of the birds that I had seemed to be very flock orientated, meaning that they both seemed to want to be with other birds. However, I know the lovie came from a multi-bird household. So that's what he was used to. I don't know the parrotlet's background but he desperately wanted to be friends with the other birds in my house. Both are little birds with big personalities. They don't think they're little at all. I found them both equally feisty. Both can be nippy. My lovebird was definitely louder than my parrotlet. Both were very playful. Both would sit on me but we hadn't reached the point yet where I could really pet them but I didn't have either for that long. I will say sometimes the parrotlet being so tiny made me nervous. He was also super fast. And even though I had him in a bird safe room, there were times he would disappear and I would be afraid to move because I didn't want to accidentally squish him. And both of course were adorable.