• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Questions about hybrids/sex-links?

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Questions for people who own/have experience with red hybrid/sex-links:
Do they really lay 250-320 eggs/year?
How friendly are they?
How good are they for free-ranging?
How resistant are they to predators?
And what is the difference between different hybrids(which hybrids are best for eggs,personality, etc.)?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
bump

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
I not quite sure about your mean by 'hybrid', but I have had some sex-links.

I don't count eggs by years, so can't answer that, but they do lay a fair amount of eggs.

They are quite friendly, but I have never actually tamed any (because I don't have the patience).

My chickens free range a paddock through the day and then I lock them up at night.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
I not quite sure about your mean by 'hybrid', but I have had some sex-links.

I don't count eggs by years, so can't answer that, but they do lay a fair amount of eggs.

They are quite friendly, but I have never actually tamed any (because I don't have the patience).

My chickens free range a paddock through the day and then I lock them up at night.
Hybrids and sex-links are the same thing in my mind, because sex-links are not purebred, they are a mix of breeds.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Hybrids and sex-links are the same thing in my mind, because sex-links are not purebred, they are a mix of breeds.
That would be true for most sex-links except mine as they were pure Sussex, buff/white.

brdfvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Krystal
I have red sex links and mine only took a month of in the hottest weather. Other than that they lay everyday. Even now when the day lengths are getting shorter. They're still going strong. I just got some australorps and they're said to lay like crazy as well

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Are any chicken breeds "resistant" to predators?

I have had red sex linked and black sex linked. Both were very good layers. The red sex linked chickens were also the friendliest chickens I have ever had. They are always following me around and show little fear of people. Not nervous or flighty. I don't hand-tame my chickens, but I bet they would be very easy to tame. As far as free-ranging, they do just fine. They are healthy and hardy chickens, in my experience.

It is difficult to compare the different crosses reliably, because they are not standardized breeds. In theory, the cross would be as good as the parent stock, so quality would depend on the hatchery. That being said, I haven't been disappointed with the production of any of the sex-linked chickens I have had over the years. Pick a hatchery you trust and you should be fine. They are a great chicken.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
And for anyone who is curious about the genetics behind sex-linked chickens and the different types that are available, this is a nice article that goes over it in detail.

I have never kept any of the auto-sexing purebred chickens. Mine were all the hybrid varieties. Some day, I want to get some legbars.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
Are any chicken breeds "resistant" to predators?

I have had red sex linked and black sex linked. Both were very good layers. The red sex linked chickens were also the friendliest chickens I have ever had. They are always following me around and show little fear of people. Not nervous or flighty. I don't hand-tame my chickens, but I bet they would be very easy to tame. As far as free-ranging, they do just fine. They are healthy and hardy chickens, in my experience.

It is difficult to compare the different crosses reliably, because they are not standardized breeds. In theory, the cross would be as good as the parent stock, so quality would depend on the hatchery. That being said, I haven't been disappointed with the production of any of the sex-linked chickens I have had over the years. Pick a hatchery you trust and you should be fine. They are a great chicken.
Well, yeah, I guess no chicken is really "resistant", but some chicken breeds would be less good at escaping. Like slower, heavier, breeds.

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
And for anyone who is curious about the genetics behind sex-linked chickens and the different types that are available, this is a nice article that goes over it in detail.

I have never kept any of the auto-sexing purebred chickens. Mine were all the hybrid varieties. Some day, I want to get some legbars.
This is the exact article that I just read this morning. You're right, it is quite helpful.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well, yeah, I guess no chicken is really "resistant", but some chicken breeds would be less good at escaping. Like slower, heavier, breeds.
None are resistant but some are definitely more at risk to predation. For example breeds like the Polish as they have reduced peripheral vision which makes them more at risk.

In terms of breed selection weather tolerance is very important. Get a cold or heat hardy breed whichever suits your region. In my mind this is more important than egg output. High egg laying breeds can have a reduced life expectancy and egg production could hault early. A sturdy and long lived breed may be a better choice for a companion bird.

Last edited:

Zonlover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rebecca
None are resistant but some are definitely more at risk to predation. For example breeds like the Polish as they have reduced peripheral vision which makes them more at risk.

In terms of breed selection weather tolerance is very important. Get a cold or heat hardy breed whichever suits your region. In my mind this is more important than egg output. High egg laying breeds can have a reduced life expectancy and egg production could hault early. A sturdy and long lived breed may be a better choice for a companion bird.
I was thinking Black Australorps, Buff Orpington, and Barred Rocks, if I was going to get purebred chickens. Where I live is like in between tropical weather and polar weather(Virginia, USA). I have also toyed with the idea of at some point rescuing 3-4 ex-battery hens.